Privacy, Anonymity, Security

Chuck Rhode

Nov 5, 2013, 11:15:25 AM11/5/13
to fdl...@googlegroups.com
Here's something new:

o http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Documentation:WhatisRetroShare

It's synchronous messaging (chat), BBs (forums), and asynchronous
messaging (eMail) by invitation over a so-called friend-2-friend
network.

I'd like to try this out, and I'm trolling for guinea pigs ... I mean,
friends ... to experiment on ... I mean, with.

You don't have to decide right away whether to participate.

Maybe you can talk me out of it. It sounds like THE ANSWER (42), so
it must be DANGEROUS, and I haven't dared to download it, let alone
install it.

I've been giving the Tor Browser Bundle (TBB) on Debian (and Orbot
with Firefox and safe-browsing extensions on Android) a good workout.
Presumably you can practice safe surfing without revealing much about
where you are and where you've been by tunneling IP requests through a
Tor entrance node, a Tor exit node, and two intermediate nodes. Only
the exit node knows what site you're trying to reach. Only the
entrance node knows where you are (your IP address). (There is
controversy about whether a malign, well funded agent could operate
enough Tor nodes to have a good chance at tracing anyone's online
dialogs end-to-end.) And, of course, you can't let your browser
accumulate cookies, and you shouldn't logon to any services at the
remote end that actually know who you are. But, still, this gives me
a great deal of peace of mind that my surfing habits can't be tracked
as closely as if I signed on directly using a commercial browser with
its default configuration.

That is by the by. I mention it to demonstrate my commitment -- to
what? To privacy, to anonymity, or to security? From whom? For
what? I don't know. These are fuzzy concepts, but they are important
enough to deserve clear definitions.

... so, I'd like to talk about RetroShare (RS) -- what it does and how
it does it -- but I don't have the vocabulary to discuss my
motivation. Is that OK? Any suggestions?

--
.. Be Seeing You,
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA