Soil Discussion:Lets Discuss everything about Soil here

khetesh

Feb 6, 2009, 4:33:54 AM2/6/09
to Farmer Digital Assistance Project
We will discuss all the concept and information about soil here to
find out how This can be explored with all its component and
properties to be used in a Digital system.

I want peoples to share knowledge about soil like
soil types,
soil properties,
factor affecting soil fertility,
soil health improvement techniques,
soil suitability for particular crop
and everything about soil which affect agriculture.

you all are welcome to join the discussion to share the knowledge and
ask queries to be answered by other expert group members

khetesh

Feb 6, 2009, 4:40:09 AM2/6/09
to Farmer Digital Assistance Project
while searching for soil type: I come across a classification as
follow:
==
Alluvial Soil
Black Soil
Red & Yellow Soil
Laterite Soil
Arid Soil
Saline Soil
Peaty and Organic Soil
Forest Soil
==
is this a right kind of soil classification which cover all type of
farmland and easily give us details and properties of soil that can be
used by any software.

I want to know that according to various properties and
characteristics of soil regarding agriculture what classification of
soil is most suitable, please share that knowledge with us here.

Thanks.
-khetesh

khetesh

Feb 6, 2009, 4:49:20 AM2/6/09
to Farmer Digital Assistance Project
I also come across a soil series classification:
Arawak soil series.
Blazefork soil series.
Castelleia soil series.
Chase soil series.
Clime soil series.
Colton soil series.
Dough soil series.
Dunton soil series.
Florence soil series.
Lula soil series.
Milan soil series.
Naron soil series.
Nashville soil series.
Nickerson soil series.
Olpe soil series.
Ren soil series.
Steedman soil series.
Woodson soil series.
Yaggy soil series.

Details available here:
http://soils.usda.gov/gallery/photos/profiles

->

khetesh

Feb 6, 2009, 5:26:14 AM2/6/09
to Farmer Digital Assistance Project
By searching i found some of the soil properties, please help me to
know more about these soil properties and add some more if you come to
know.
Soil properties:
1. permeablity:slowly,
2. drainage:well,moderately well,poorly,
3. Depth
4. mean annual precipitation
5. mean annual temperature(inches)
6. Slopes( %)
7. color
8. TAXONOMIC CLASS
9. TYPICAL PEDON
10.pH
11.stickyness
12.worm cast
13.granular structure:strong medium and coarse, weak fine subangular,
14.loam:dark gray silty clay,very dark grayish brown gravelly, black
(10YR 2/1) silty clay
15.boundary
16.Soil moisture regim
17.Particle-size control section
18.Depth to non-paralithic contact
19.Depth to secondary calcium carbonate
20.Thickness of the mollic epipedon
21.Texture: silty clay, silty clay loam, or clay
22.Carbonate concretions: 0 to 10 percent
23.Landform: floodplains
24.Parent material: silty calcareous alluvium
25.Elevation: 1100 to 1500 feet (335.3 to 457.2 meters)
26.Wettest months: Mar. - Oct.
27.Driest months: Nov - Feb.
28. Frost-free period: 160 to 180 days
29. Runoff: slow or medium.
30.Depth to argillic horizon: 30 to 76 centimeters
31.Depth to redox concentrations: 15 to 51 centimeters
32.Depth to episaturation: 61 to 122 centimeters from January to April
33.Thickness of the mollic epipedon: Greater than 91 centimeters
34. Vertic features: The presence of linear extensibility of 6.0 cm or
more at 51 to 107 centimeters
35. Clay content: 35 to 55 percent
36. Sand content: 1 to 4 percent
37. Hue: 10YR
38. Chroma: 1 or 2
39. Seasonal high water table: 2 to 4 feet
40. Flooded: Rare or Occasional
41.USE AND VEGETATION
42.Depth to shale: 20 to 40 inches
43. Depth to bedrock: greater than 80 inches (203 centimeters)
44. Thickness of the solum: 76 to 152 centimeters (30 to 60 inches)
45. Thornthwaite Annual P-E indices: 50 to 66.

Thanks..
-khetesh