Table blog post: To eat fish or not to eat fish? That is the wrong question

Ray Kowalchuk

Feb 10, 2021, 3:02:13 AM2/10/21
to FCR...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what the "Fishy Business Campaign" might be but I think that Christine O'Sullivan actually should do a proper audit of legitimate questions before dismissing them.

Do we need to eat fish?  Categorically, no.  They provide no specific nutrients that can't be found elsewhere.  Whether they are a convenient source of calories for fat for many coastal peoples isn't the same question.

Is eating fish healthy?  It may be the opinion of the Fishy Business Campaign to say that it is, though the health halo of fish flesh isn't the least industrial myth in our food industry.  Is it recommended to eat fish daily?  If fish are one of the greatest bioaccumulators of toxins (and predator fish the worst of the lot) then the health halo is severely tilted.

Having read my clearly vegan-minded propaganda, examine your thoughts.  How many objections were occupational?  Socio-political?  If we are to solve any -- ANY solutions to the Anthropocene we must somehow get our anthropocentric privilege in check.  Seal and dolphins didn't empty the oceans -- WE DID.  Empathize with the island communities that rely on fishing (no, not Japan and England!) and do the right thing -- support the campaign to leave the fish alone.  Being clever agents of "sustainable" serial depletion is not the mindset that earns us a thrivable future.

Ray