Replacing sheep with trees in the uplands

Bill Grayson

Sep 17, 2020, 6:16:00 PM9/17/20
to FCRN Forum
I've just seen this item setting out the economic case for converting hill
grazing for sheep to forestry. They reckon it makes better financial (and
carbon) sense if done by natural regen once the basic payment has been
removed and replacing it with carbon credits calculated at the going rate:

https://theconversation.com/britain-needs-to-grow-more-trees-are-sheep-farms-the-answer-145872?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Latest%20from%20The%20Conversation%20for%20September%2017%202020%20-%201734116762&utm_content=Latest%20from%20The%20Conversation%20for%20September%2017%202020%20-%201734116762+CID_651711e71c128bfb92ceadd5928df9d3&utm_source=campaign_monitor_uk&utm_term=it%20will%20increasingly%20make%20sense%20for%20sheep%20farmers%20to%20convert%20their%20land%20to%20forests

One thing they haven't considered is a wood pasture option based, preferably
on grazing
with cattle which can stimulate seed germination and have less impact on the
young
saplings than sheep because cattle are less selective browsers.

Also continuing grazing of the understorey will help guard against
loss of the carbon back to the atmosphere when the trees fall victim to wild
fires which, with increasing frequency and
intensity of UK summer heat waves will become more of an issue here as time
goes on.

best wishes
Bill