WEBINAR: Fish Night 7: Gender equality in the seafood value chain

Anne Schulthess

Feb 22, 2021, 6:41:21 AM2/22/21
to marin...@conbio.org, Trade...@googlegroups.com, Abridged recipients, FCR...@googlegroups.com

**Apologies for cross-posting**

Dear Colleagues,

I do hope you’ll be able to attend the upcoming IIED online event ‘Fish Night 7: Gender equality in the seafood value chain' on 8 March 2021.

Women play a pivotal role in small-scale fisheries around the world. Close to half of the 40 million people worldwide who work in small-scale fisheries are women. Yet the seafood industry is characterised by pervasive gender inequalities and the work of women is still mostly ignored, invisible, unrecognised and undervalued.

At this Fish Night on International Women’s Day, we will hear from women working in the seafood industry, in practical and research roles, in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America.  We will learn about how overexploitation, climate change and COVID-19 have impacted on women’s livelihoods and wellbeing, and how they respond to these pressures.

In the lead up to the International Year of Artisanal Fisheries and Aquaculture (IYAFA) in 2022, this event will explore what needs to happen to raise the profile of women. How can we ensure both women and men champion gender equality? What commitments do we need to see and from whom? And what will a sustainable and inclusive blue recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic look like?

REGISTER NOW

About the panel
Editrudith Lukanga is a co-founder and executive director of Environmental Management and Economic Development Organization (EMEDO).
Kyoko Kusakabe is a professor of Gender and Development Studies at Department of Development and Sustainability, Asian Institute of Technology in Thailand.
Madeleine Gustavsson is a researcher at Ruralis based in Trondheim, Norway.
Bertha del Carmen Martínez Villalobos is a business entrepreneur with expertise in product development and marketing, research, and finance.
Cristina Pita (moderator) is a principal researcher and team leader in the Shaping Sustainable Markets group.

I hope you can join us. You can learn more about Fish Night events on the IIED website.

Best wishes,
Anne

Anne Schulthess

Marketing Manager

International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED)

Third Floor, 235 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7LE | T: +44 (0) 20 3463 7399

www.iied.org |Twitter: @iied  | IIED newsletters: www.iied.org/sign-up

2020 was a year like no other. Watch our annual review videos to see how IIED and our partners rose to the challenges of the year with creativity and innovation.

IIED is a company limited by a guarantee and incorporated in England. Reg. No 2188452. Registered office: 3rd Floor, 235 High Holborn, Holborn, London WC1V 7LE, UK. VAT Reg. No. GB 440 4948 50. Charity No. 800066. OSCR No 039864. IIED is recognised as an international organisation by the OECD Development Assistance Committee.

IIED is a company limited by a guarantee and incorporated in England. Reg. No 2188452. Registered office: Third Floor, 235 High Holborn, London WC1V 7LE , UK. VAT Reg. No. GB 440 4948 50. Charity No. 800066. OSCR No 039864