FC Conference backchannel - your input needed

Julie Lindsay

Feb 5, 2011, 10:24:55 PM2/5/11
to fcp-confe...@googlegroups.com, Chris Smith
Hi all

Chris Smith (Shambles) has invited us to use his Etherpad installation for the conference. He says he can get about 60 without trouble.......not sure about the numbers we want to use it for ...100+ potentially.

I have set up a trial at http://flatclassroom2011.shamblespad.com/1  and made it public.  I invite you all to trial with your students and anyone else to, as Chris put it, 'try and break it' before we use it for real.

Let's compare this with -
http://www.chatzy.com/ - which seems to be UNBLOCKED right now, and is still my favourite backchannel tool, (if I pay the $9 for an upgraded room)
http://www.coveritlive.com/ - I have not used this much....cannot understand the cost, is it free for basic and premium? It is also unblocked now

Any others you can recommend that are China-friendly?

We could use a different tool for the Leadership Workshop and the Student Summit, but for plenary's eg FLATs we want everyone in together.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks Chris for the opportunity to test Etherpad via Shambles!

Big problem this week: Ning is now BLOCKED!!  arghhh..... let's hope it comes up again soon. We will continue to use it at http://flatclassroomconference.ning.com/ for pre, during and post connections but if it is blocked we cannot make this a required site during the event, particularly for the Student Summit (I am so annoyed about this!!).  So, whose idea was it to run an international technology conference in China!!??

Those coming to Beijing, please review the software wiki and consider purchasing a VPN for the trip.
http://conference2011.flatclassroomproject.org/Software

Thanks all.

_________________________
"Creating the Future"
Julie Lindsay, MA (Music), MA (ETL), ADE 
E-Learning Coordinator
Beijing (BISS) International School
Tel: +8610 6443 3151/2/3
Mobile: +86 13521205978