FCNYU Fall 2012 events

Pharos

Oct 9, 2012, 1:19:37 PM10/9/12
to Free Culture @ NYU Discuss, Neil Kosslyn
Hi folks,

You need actual ***events*** for Fall 2012 to maintain you club mojo:

I humbly submit that you should select at least 3 of the following 10 wonderfully fitting suggestions:

*Free Halloween-palooza
*Free Games-palooza
*Free Shakespeare-palooza
*Free NYUpedia-palooza
*Free Jokes-palooza
*Free Orphanworks-palooza
*Free Music-palooza
*Free Fashion-palooza
*Free Food-palooza
*Free Maps-palooza

Thanks,
Richard

Boris Mindzak

Oct 9, 2012, 2:14:56 PM10/9/12
to fc-nyu-...@googlegroups.com
A Halloween costume making event where you make costumes based on public domain characters! And have pizza!

Parker Higgins

Oct 9, 2012, 2:32:40 PM10/9/12
to fc-nyu-...@googlegroups.com, Neil Kosslyn
Hey current FCNYU-ers,

A few years back, around Halloween, we did a screening of Night of the Living Dead (which is in the public domain through a weird set of circumstances) alongside a screening of a project called Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated. It was logistically a bit difficult, but ended up being fun.

If anybody's interested in doing it this year, I could help put these two together for whoever wanted to run this event there.

Parker

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Pharos <pharosofa...@gmail.com> wrote:

parker higgins
san francisco, ca

http://parkerhiggins.net

gmail / gchat: parker...@gmail.com
twitter / identi.ca: @xor
skype: thisisparker

please consider software freedom before reading this e-mail on a proprietary platform

Nathaniel

Oct 9, 2012, 3:13:11 PM10/9/12
to fc-nyu-...@googlegroups.com
Currently planned:
Games remix night: we come up with Chess variants and play them. The most fun gets a prize?
Ubuntu install party this 22nd, probably.

Ideas we've had
Remix cinema festival: take scenes from visual works now under public domain and splice them. Create cohesive and awesome story. Also, confusing.

-Neil

Pharos

Oct 10, 2012, 12:36:02 AM10/10/12
to fc-nyu-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Nathaniel <nkos...@gmail.com> wrote:
Currently planned:
Games remix night: we come up with Chess variants and play them. The most fun gets a prize?
Ubuntu install party this 22nd, probably.

Ideas we've had
Remix cinema festival: take scenes from visual works now under public domain and splice them. Create cohesive and awesome story. Also, confusing.

-Neil

I have always thought that the 1940s Superman shorts from Fleischer Studios would be a really fun and profitable thing to remix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1940s_cartoons)

At the very least, it would be easy to record better dialogue, which should be completely unrelated to the particular banalities of Supermandom; there is a lot of good visual material there for all sorts of general science fiction and adventure stories.

Also, you could mix in dialogue from Shakespeare!  Or Old Time Radio recordings from the 1940s!  Or Old Time Radio recordings of Shakespeare from the 1940s!

Thanks,
Richard

Pharos

Oct 10, 2012, 12:40:05 AM10/10/12
to fc-nyu-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Parker Higgins <parker...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey current FCNYU-ers,

A few years back, around Halloween, we did a screening of Night of the Living Dead (which is in the public domain through a weird set of circumstances) alongside a screening of a project called Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated. It was logistically a bit difficult, but ended up being fun.

If anybody's interested in doing it this year, I could help put these two together for whoever wanted to run this event there.

Parker

The Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated screening was quite fun, as I remember :)

It would be great to have an all-out Halloween PD fest, with as many zany horror remixing gimmicks as possible.  It's rather a genre that lends itself to this type of wonderful thing.

Thanks,
Richard