Re: [fbcmd] ERROR: could not convert session key to auth token

Naail Abdul Rahman

Apr 20, 2013, 1:33:43 PM4/20/13
to fb...@googlegroups.com

Shot in the dark here..

Try (re)moving the session key files in ~/.fbcmd?

On Apr 20, 2013 9:28 PM, <the....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Guys,

I had this all setup and working a few months ago, I changed my password since it was last working and so had to re-auth fbcmd, however whenever i get to the "fbcmd auth XXXXXX" step it thows up this error:

C:\Data\Scripts>fbcmd auth GWXDA9
fbcmd [v2.0-beta2] ERROR: could not convert session key to auth token

Ive tried reinstalling but still get the same error, anyone know whats wrong?

thanks

--Damian

--

---

Igor Oreper

Apr 20, 2013, 1:58:46 PM4/20/13
to fb...@googlegroups.com
I have the same issue and there's a Facebook bug with a workaround for it. I had posted it to the fbcmd Facebook page a few days back.

Igor Oreper

Apr 29, 2013, 7:20:06 AM4/29/13
to fb...@googlegroups.com
I should have been more specific when I said "workaround". The owner of the FBCMD Facebook app page can follow instructions here - https://developers.facebook.com/bugs/417142765049146/:

This is an intentional security restriction and makes the behaviour here match other places in our OAuth Stack

To clarify how to resolve this, there are two likely cases

1) The app secret for your app is the same as the client token (aka login secret).

The fix for this is to reset the client token for your app (in the App Dashboard settings page, under Advanced > Security), as long as the login secret is not in any client code you've distributed to end-users.
If the login or client secret is in anywhere in client-accessible code then the fix is to reset your app secret.

2) If the app is marked as desktop or native and the "App Secret in Client" setting (in the settings under Advanced > Authentication) is Yes.
The fix is to mark the "App Secret in Client" setting as No.

Dave – Could you chime in please? Sounds like an easy fix on your end (if I diagnosed the issue correctly).

Best,
Igor

From: <themanchas...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:36 AM
To: <fb...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [fbcmd] ERROR: could not convert session key to auth token

fbcmd reset

was your posted workaround, I think.

It doesn't resolve it for me.  After "fbcmd reset" and running from cygwin

php c:/bin/fbcmd.php auth XXXXXX

it still results with

fbcmd [v2.0-beta2] ERROR: could not get session key from auth code

B. Henry

May 10, 2013, 2:47:13 PM5/10/13
to fb...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and as I explained I went so far as to start installation from scratch after removing old installation after tryinng to update by changing to beta,;
fbcmd update beta
which worked fine it seemed until I tried
fbcmd auth <code>
I really want my FBCMD back working! FBCMD and the shareaholic browser extension make using FB comfortable and fast, but with out these, well it's often not worth the bother.
BTW, another useful tool for using the ubiquitous facebook is the friend mail service, but FBCMD is the tool that does stuff that I can't do any other way with out wasting my life on facebook webpages.
Kind regards&let's hope that we'll always have FBCMD. (or at least as long as we have facebook itself)
--
Burt Henry

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 07:36:20AM -0700, themanchas...@gmail.com wrote:
> *fbcmd reset*
>
> was your posted workaround, I think.
>
> It doesn't resolve it for me. After *"fbcmd reset" *and running from cygwin
>
> *php c:/bin/fbcmd.php auth XXXXXX
> *
> it still results with
>
> *fbcmd [v2.0-beta2] ERROR: could not get session key from auth code
> *
>

> On Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:58:46 PM UTC+2, Igor wrote:
> >
> > I have the same issue and there's a Facebook bug with a workaround for it.
> > I had posted it to the fbcmd Facebook page a few days back.
> >
> > On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:33 PM, Naail Abdul Rahman <kud...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Shot in the dark here..
> >
> > Try (re)moving the session key files in ~/.fbcmd?
> > On Apr 20, 2013 9:28 PM, <the....@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey Guys,
> >>
> >> I had this all setup and working a few months ago, I changed my password
> >> since it was last working and so had to re-auth fbcmd, however whenever i
> >> get to the "fbcmd auth XXXXXX" step it thows up this error:
> >>
> >> C:\Data\Scripts>fbcmd auth GWXDA9
> >> fbcmd [v2.0-beta2] ERROR: could not convert session key to auth token
> >>
> >> Ive tried reinstalling but still get the same error, anyone know whats
> >> wrong?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>
> >> --Damian
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> ---
> >>

> > --
> >
> > ---

the....@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2013, 1:55:37 PM6/14/13
to fb...@googlegroups.com
Since the owner seems to have gone MIA do you know how hard it would be to implement a new app page that fbcmd will work with that we can do this fix too?

--Damian

Dave Tompkins

Jun 14, 2013, 2:50:32 PM6/14/13
to fbcmd, Igor Oreper, the....@gmail.com
I may appear MIA, but not really... just really busy, and if it helps any, I feel a tremendous amount of guilt.

Realistically, I won't get to seriously work on fbcmd stuff until late-august.

The primary problem is that facebook removed offline_access -- which is what an app like fbcmd needs.  We may be getting misleading error messages because of this.

They have an alternative scheduled (device login), but haven't implemented it yet, and isn't a big priorty.

If you want to work on the solution, you can create your own app (you can still use the fbcmd.php -- just use your own keys, which are in the source)

and see if you can get auth working via the command line.  if you have a step-by-step procedure to auth a *new* user from scratch, that will save us all a LOT of headache.

-Dave

Ntwa Katule

Sep 3, 2014, 10:31:21 AM9/3/14
to fb...@googlegroups.com, ior...@gmail.com, the....@gmail.com, dtom...@uwaterloo.ca
Hi everyone. Is this project dead?

Dave Tompkins

Sep 3, 2014, 3:48:58 PM9/3/14
to fbcmd, katul...@gmail.com

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Ntwa Katule <katul...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone. Is this project dead?

No, but it's on life support.

samuel....@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2015, 5:48:42 PM4/7/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com, katul...@gmail.com, dtom...@uwaterloo.ca
Hello,

Could you give me some hint to be able to use fbcmd? I'm using the DEV branch and I always receive the "ERROR: could not convert session key to auth token".

When I try this way : fbcmd SAVEPREF -appkey=XXX -appsecret=YYY
then I receive this error when trying to authorise fbcmd : "L’URL fournie n’est pas autorisée par la configuration de l’application.: Une ou plusieurs URL fournies ne sont pas autorisées par les paramètres de l’application. Elle(s) doi(ven)t correspondre à l’URL du site ou du Canevas, ou le domaine doit être un sous-domaine de l’un des domaines de l’application.".

Thank you very much for your help!