Is everything not working for you people today?

B. Henry

May 1, 2015, 5:49:21 PM5/1/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if Dave T. abandoned ship the day befor everything went to hell?
I get e errors trying to read or modify my status, post, etc. Some are odd like saying that user status was not found in the user table or similar.
I was so hoping that things would continue to mostly work for a while. I just reran go access and addperm to no avail.

--
B.H.
Registerd Linux User 521886

Nathan Tuggy

May 1, 2015, 5:54:31 PM5/1/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com
The reason it doesn't work is the same as the reason Dave abandoned it: Facebook turned off the API. It's dead, Jim. Strictly a relic of the past, now.

Dan Lyke

May 1, 2015, 5:56:11 PM5/1/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 2:48 PM, B. Henry <burt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if Dave T. abandoned ship the day befor everything went to hell?

Yeah, my two updates today haven't taken, and a few quick attempts to
get fbcmd to talk to Facebook this afternoon seem to be silently
failing.

I'm hoping to switch to WithKnown from my homegrown system, as soon as
I write plug-ins to post to my blogging system, and see if I can hack
in the ability to post with a time delay, and...

Yeah, maybe I'll just spend less time on Facebook.

Dan

B. Henry

May 1, 2015, 6:42:02 PM5/1/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com
I wish I had a way to at least do the most basic things, status updates, posts with links, and check my stream and comment/like stuff from there.
The variety of errors is rather odd, so I guess may first was when they decided to screw us.
I just checked the appsperms and everything is still checked off, but can do nothing. Stream returns silence.

--
B.H.
Registerd Linux User 521886

Dan Lyke wrote:
Fri, May 01, 2015 at 02:56:09PM -0700
> --
>
> ---

B. Henry

May 1, 2015, 6:51:06 PM5/1/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com
I wish it were a bit more practical for me to just abandon FB. I'd do it as things are if I could take a significant percentage of my "friends" with
me.
The other way I had of keeping up with my feed was taken down 2 or three years ago, the friend mail that gave very extended and interactive email
notifications.
I'll have to check what can still be done by mail, but the one thing I can't think of how to replace is quick checks as to what ppl are posting. I'm
sure that with enough thought and imagination one could automate feed checks with a browser, but the point of social networking is to be easy I think.
If I have to work at it I'd rather just share with email.

--
B.H.
Registerd Linux User 521886

Nathan Tuggy wrote:
Fri, May 01, 2015 at 04:54:26PM -0500
> --
>
> ---
>
> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. mailto:fbcmd+un...@googlegroups.com
> 2. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> /home/burt/.elinks//elinks.conf:288: parse error

Dave Tompkins

May 1, 2015, 10:38:08 PM5/1/15
to fbcmd
>> I wonder if Dave T. abandoned ship the day before everything went to hell?

> The reason it doesn't work is the same as the reason Dave abandoned it: Facebook turned off the API. It's dead, Jim. Strictly a relic of the past, now.

Yeah, at one point I was considering grabbing the electric paddles and
dramatically trying to resurrect the lifeless body, but facebook had
shot it full of so many holes that it wasn't worth it.

-Dave

a.ca...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 12:52:32 PM5/21/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com
I hook up in the middle cause I just tried to install fbcmd a few days ago... And noticed it was dead a bit too late :)
Still I think the project was awesome so I'm very disappointed to see I will not be able to Facebook-cmd... :(

Anyway, to the point of the message :
Are you sure about facebook killing the API ?

Does it means that there is 0.00% hope to get a CLI app working with facebook (as long as another API isn't brought up and hopefully lets devs play arround) ?
Or should I continue looking for a genius somewhere in the Internets that could be developping something similar ?

Greetz to y'all, and farewell Sir Tompkins!

B.Henry

May 24, 2015, 4:45:04 PM5/24/15
to fb...@googlegroups.com
certainly large parts of the functionality were killed off, and FB is not encouraging stand alone desktop aps.
That being said, something could be done. Just how much functionality is possible now I know not, nor if there are plans to disable more, or add something???<(really doubt that last). One example of a program that still works well for me, or at least did the last time I tried to use it is AIM. I could see stuff in my feed and like or comment on it, as well as update my status. What is going on under the hood there is something I know nothing about, but it gives me hope.
It is still easy for me to share webpages using the shareaholic browser extension, but other than that my FB interactions will be mostly limited to replying to email alerts when allowed.
Please, if anyone finds or builds alternatives to fbcmd, post here. AIM rocks, but is not much of an option for me as it's a windows program and I am a Linux user.