Faye vs Socket.IO

Sanjay Dhakar

Jul 4, 2017, 5:06:23 AM7/4/17
to Faye users
I have used Faye in my live application but now having doubts if I should switch to Socket.IO

The reason for this is I am not sure if Faye will be able to handle scale. I already have 100K users on my platform. I don't know what issues I face at scale with Faye and there is no support available as well (Only one developer is contributing to Faye) as opposed to Socket.IO where they have a huge support base as compared to Faye.
As such I am not getting any additional benefit of using Faye over Socket.IO.

Now is the time to take this call else won't be able to make the switch later on once more users are onboard on platform.

Any suggestions regarding this?

James Coglan

Aug 2, 2017, 5:08:17 PM8/2/17
to faye-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sanjay,

Those are perfectly reasonably concerns and I'm not here to try to convince you to try and use my project. If you feel more confident in getting support with another product, then you should absolutely do that.

The one thing I will say is I typically don't give out opinions on performance, either of Faye or of any similar product, because it depends very much on your application workload, deployment, etc. Both Faye and Socket.IO offer Redis-based backends if you need to scale horizontally.

If you have time, I would build prototypes with both products -- this will have the side effect of designing your app to not be too highly coupled to either -- and then do some capacity measurements in a production-like environment to see how they handle your application's typical workloads.

Hope that helps,
James