Connection Drop/Restart

Ross Asato

Jan 13, 2015, 4:54:28 PM1/13/15
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Klink Support -

I keep getting issues with the connection dropping and restarting on my PC. It will drop randomly, be it hours or minutes of use. If I'm streaming something it will cause issues in the stream, or if I'm just browsing the web it will disconnect and reconnect. At times I've actually had USB debugging mode turn itself off which creates a permanent drop until I re-enable USB Debugging mode.

PC OS: Windows 7 x64
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4
Phone OS: 4.4.2

Kevin Ko

Jan 13, 2015, 7:01:35 PM1/13/15
to favese...@googlegroups.com, ross...@gmail.com
Hi,

This is usually caused by a problem with the USB connection itself.  Could you try the following?

1) Clean the USB port on your device with air or a dry brush.

2) Try another cable if you have one or can borrow one from a friend.

3) Make sure that your cable connection is secure.  Sometimes a case might interfere with the cable and lead to a poor connection.

4) Check to see if you have Android sync software on your PC (e.g., Samsung Kies or HTC Sync).  If you do, make sure it's not running in the background while using Klink.  Be sure to check the Windows tray near the clock for the Kies/HTC Sync icon, click, and exit, as such programs tend to start automatically when Windows boots up.  Alternatively, uninstall the sync program if you do not use it.

5)  In rare cases, another USB device on your computer might be interfering.  To test this, try unplugging any unnecessary USB devices like thumb drives or printers.  If this ends up being a problem, try connecting your phone to another port on your computer, which might help.

Does that clear things up?

Kevin

Ross Asato

Jan 19, 2015, 11:27:08 PM1/19/15
to favese...@googlegroups.com, ross...@gmail.com
Kevin -

I've tried a new cable, uninstalled/re-installed the software on my PC and Android device and used a brush to clean the charging/data port and am having the same issue and now another. Now with the software re-installed I'm seeing Klink start and claim to immediately stop on my phone. I test the connection and it works, but it still seems to drop.

I'm currently running 1.11d release of the software on my PC that I just downloaded tonight through the setup option in Klink.

I'm about to go on the 'Red' version to test to see if I still have this issue. How do I swap to the 'Red' version without having to pay for it? According to the description in the Play Store I don't have to repurchase it.

Kevin Ko

Jan 20, 2015, 12:45:35 AM1/20/15
to favese...@googlegroups.com, Ross Asato
Hi, Ross.

Don't worry about the red/blue versions.  The duplicate is an artifact from some censorship that happened in 2011, which was subsequently cleared up in 2012.  I keep all copies up to date, so the experience is the same.

Could you clarify the behavior that you're seeing?  Initially, you said that the PC connection is dropping and restarting.    I had assumed that Klink's PC software was also dropping the connection, which was causing you to click "Start" within Klink's PC program again.  In reviewing your message, it instead sounds like Klink's PC software is active the entire time and that your PC applications are exhibiting lost connection behavior (e.g., when viewing media).  Does that sound about right?

First, let's take care of Klink's Android program.

- Does it still show the odd starting behavior when you restart your phone?

- Could you try clearing the app data for Klink?  To do that, go to phone settings > Applications > Klink, and tap on "Clear data".

For your PC side, could you make sure that wifi is turned off while using Klink (if it has a wifi adapter)?  You can do that in two ways:

1) Use the wireless switch/hotkey on most computers.

2) Under Windows, go to the Network and sharing center, and choose to manage connections on the left.  (Alternatively, search for "ncpa.cpl" from the Windows Start menu.)  Then, right-click on the connection associated with your wireless adapter, and choose "Disable".  Note that you can always right-click and "Enable" to reverse the changes.

Does that get us anywhere?  Please let me know how it goes...

Kevn