Can't connect my G2 with Win 8.1

Manuel Rodriguez

Feb 1, 2014, 12:48:08 PM2/1/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com
I used to have a Rezound and a laptop running Win XP and Klink worked flawlessly. Sadly both the phone and the computer died. I then got a laptop with Win 8 and the LG G2. Now I can't make a reliable connection with Klink. I have installed the latest Klink software and I use the "Internet connection" on the G2 and choose "Ethernet".

The connection is made but it doesn't last. After about a minute, I can't load pages anymore.

 I have also tried Easy Tether and the same thing happens. I don't know what to do. I thought it was the Windows 8.1 and tried to install Ubuntu but that failed. I tried installing virtual XP and that failed too.

This software worked soooo well before. Any ideas of what's going on?

Kevin Ko

Feb 1, 2014, 4:19:00 PM2/1/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, mran...@gmail.com
Hi, Manuel.

Hmm... I can think of a couple of possibilities.  Could you try the following?

1) First, make sure that the wifi adapter on your PC is turned off.  It's possible that your new laptop's wifi adapter can pick up weaker signals and is attempting to hop onto a nearby hotspot.  As a general rule, it's a good idea to turn off wifi to avoid such conflicts.  You can do so using the wireless hotkey or switch on most computers.

Alternatively, go to the Windows network and sharing center.  Then, right-click on your wireless connection and choose to disable it.  (You can enable it in the same fashion when you need to use wifi.)

2) It's also possible that the "Internet connection" USB mode on your phone is the culprit.  Try choosing one of the default USB modes like "media transfer (MTP)".  Then, tap Start within Klink on the phone.  Be sure to follow any instructions that pop-up regarding enabling USB debugging mode on your device.  Finally, run Klink's companion program on your PC as before.

While you're at it, go into your phone settings, choose "More" near the top of the list, and make sure that the built-in hotspot/tether modes are turned off.

Does that help?

Kevin

Are you able to get Klink's PC software
I'm not completely familiar with the G2, but you might not want to use the built-in "Internet connection" mode on the G2,

Manuel Rodriguez

Feb 1, 2014, 5:30:06 PM2/1/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, mran...@gmail.com
Hi Kevin,

I went ahead and disabled wifi on the computer and was able to connect for quite a while. It worked really well. I was even able to stream netflix without a hitch. But after perhaps 10 minutes or so things started getting slower and slower and finally webpages were not able to load. Klink still said connection is active though. I went ahead and stopped Klink on my device and on the computer and restarted it but it connected very slowly to a page or two and then I was back to not being able to load pages. This never ever happened when I had my Rezound and the XP laptop.

As far as the USB mode on my phone, Klink will only recognize the phone when I'm on "Internet connection" and "Ethernet". If I choose anything else, Klink says "device not recognized".

Kevin Ko

Feb 1, 2014, 7:37:17 PM2/1/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, Manuel Rodriguez
Hi, again.

Do you have a speedtest app on your phone?  If not, try this free one:

After installing the speedtest app, give it a run and track the reported numbers.  Then, try things out again.  If/when things slow down, stop what you're doing and run the speedtest app on your phone.  What does it report and how does it compare to the first speedtest?

If the speedtest numbers are too slow (like below 300kbps), it's possible that you're being throttled, which is possible with something data heavy like video streaming.  Such throttling would lead to page loading timeouts as you've encountered.

Kevin

Manuel Rodriguez

Feb 3, 2014, 3:57:29 PM2/3/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, Manuel Rodriguez
Hi Kevin,

I did as you said and measure my connection speed at the beginning of a session and whenever I wasn't able to load sites anymore. It just so happened that during both instances it was over 15Mbps. And Klink still said that the connection was active.

So here's what I did to fix it; I went ahead and restored to computer to its as new condition. I basically wiped it and started over. Win 8 has a restore function that does that for you. I then went ahead and only installed Klink. I didn't install any other tether programs or any other drivers. Guess what? The problem seems to be totally fixed. I've been using the computer for two days now without any kind of connection interruptions (that's why I had not responded sooner; I was testing the connection).

I have also kept my Wifi off while using Klink but I think at the heart of the problem was a software conflict with something I had installed on the computer. I had installed some LG drivers and some Verizon drivers (I'm guessing some kind of Android drivers of some sort). I also had installed Easy Tether.

Well, things are back to normal. Thanks for your help.

Kevin Ko

Feb 3, 2014, 4:32:16 PM2/3/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, Manuel Rodriguez
Hmm...  that is unusual.  Phone drivers shouldn't really make a difference, but maybe there was some sort of related USB (driver?) conflict as you suspect.

I know that some people have experienced funky behavior with certain USB peripherals that happened to be plugged into the same USB hub as their Android device.  (Ports on computers are often grouped into a couple of internal USB hubs.)  That has usually been remedied by plugging the Android device into another USB port on the PC or even by removing any extraneous USB devices.  For example, one person observed a USB conflict between his Android device and one of his thumb drives and found that switching USB ports or unplugging the thumb drive would clear things up immediately.

As for ET, its companion program does run automatically when Windows boots up, which can be annoying.  It's a good idea to exit such programs completely whenever using any other Android-to-PC program like Klink, just to be safe.

Anyway, I'm glad that you could figure things out.  Thanks for the feedback!

Kevin

lu...@thebelmontaustin.com

Feb 23, 2014, 7:15:08 PM2/23/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, Manuel Rodriguez
I have a very similar problem on my LG G2. I previously had a Photon 4g and klink worked perfectly. Since going to the G2, I lose the connection frequently. After initially starting Klink, I will often get a connection then lose it less than a minute later, but will regain the connection if I stop and restart Klink on the phone. Eventually, I can usually get a decent connection that may last for a couple hours, but it will still eventually go out.. Then I have to restart it several times before getting a new, semi-reliable connection. I lost my G2 and actually switched back to the photon while waiting on my replacement, and the photon still worked perfectly, and now I'm back to the G2 and having the same problem again.

Kevin Ko

Feb 23, 2014, 9:45:14 PM2/23/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, lu...@thebelmontaustin.com
Hi,

This is a bit odd.  It does help that you have one working device and one unreliable one, as that helps isolate things to the device itself.  Before we look at that, could you make sure that you're running the latest version of Klink's PC software?  This might be relevant since your Photon is a couple of years old.

The latest version of Klink's Windows software is v1.11c.  You can check your existing version by clicking the "About" button from the main screen of Klink's PC program.  If you need to update it, just follow the setup guide within the app or the instructions at this link:

When updating the PC software, be sure to fully exit the old version of Klink on your computer so that it updates cleanly.  If you're not sure, just restart Windows once before running the installer.

Does that make any difference?

Kevin

Lucas DeRosa

Aug 25, 2014, 12:20:47 PM8/25/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com, lu...@thebelmontaustin.com
I've gone back and  forth on phones a few times and am still having this problem. It still only seems to occur on LG phones. My motorola does just fine. Internet will work for several minutes than just go away. Phone is still connected. Have latest versions on all phones. Still get frequent disconnects all the time.

Kevin Ko

Aug 25, 2014, 4:51:58 PM8/25/14
to favese...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I helped a couple of G2 users in the past two weeks, and we found that the G2 (and possibly G3?) works best when configured as follows:

- Connect device to computer
- Pull down notification pane on device
- Tap on the USB connection item
- Choose Internet connection
- Choose the "Ethernet" sub-item.

Does that work better for you?  Also, just to clarify things, does Klink remain active ("started" on the PC) when your connection goes down?  Or does the PC side drop first?  I ask because you wrote something about needing to restart Klink on the G2 to regain functionality.

If Klink remains active, check the following:

- Turn off wifi on your computer using the wireless switch/hotkey on most computers.  Alternatively, go to Windows Network settings panel and right-click and disable the wireless connection.  I doubt that this is the problem, since your photon works fine with the same computer, but it won't hurt to try.  Basically, you don't want Windows jumping onto a random nearby hotspot, which would disrupt connectivity.

- Check for any battery saving apps on your device.  If you have one, turn off management of mobile data or make an exception for Klink to keep the battery app from shutting off your device's data connection prematurely.

- Are you using the same cable as with the photon?  Does using the G2's cable make a difference?  Also note that phone cases might interfere with the USB cable's connection if the USB connector is too large, so try removing the G2 from any phone cases when testing.

Kevin