When were you called?

Gio

Apr 29, 2007, 3:43:31 PM4/29/07
to Fr Joe: Questions & Answers
Hello Father, I know you mentioned you excelled in CCD classes and got
kicked out. (quite the opposite of Christianity lol).

But when did you think "I shall become a Priest"?

Also I was wondering whats the different between a secular priest and
the other type..

I know they have the Orders of St.Benedict,St.Dominic, St.Francis but
I hear they have St.Paul which I assume are the regular priests with
the white collar.

I been reading about the Francisian Order in the United States and I
kind of find them not to my taste, One was explaining the Vow of
obiedience and they said its not submissive etc. Which I think is not
what St.Francis or St.Pio did. since I'm from Italy (but live in NY) I
could goto Italy because they seem to follow more passionately. Closer
to the saints..or must be just a stereotype.

Today was Vocation Sunday, last week a seminarian from St.Joseph
Monasterey (I would think secular priests) came. I do feel a tugging
but not sure if its my mind or GOD himself asking me. Padre Pio said
"If GOD wants you he will let you know".

I'm going in my 3rd year of Economics BA.

just a bunch of ideas\questions I guess

Father Joe

Apr 29, 2007, 8:28:25 PM4/29/07
to Fr Joe: Questions & Answers
I was placed upon the high altar as an infant by the priest who
baptized me and he prayed that i might be a priest. My father always
hoped for this as well.

I used to play "priest" as a boy using candy.

All through high school I was planning to a regular college and study
to be a doctor. I also saw the archdiocesan vocation director and
applied for the seminary. I really did not hold out much hope that
they would accept me but they did. Consequently, I returned my
scholarship and grants for Mount St. Mary's College and went to the
seminary instead, right out of high school. Eight years later I was
ordained a priest.

I was open to a vocation but took everything a day at a time. My
approach was simple: God's will be done. If God wanted me to be a
priest, it would happen.

I was a sickly child and had an intimate prayerlife with God. God
gave me a calling and gave me the grace to respond.

Peace,
Father Joe

P.S. What is the different between a secular priest and a religious
(order) priest?

Diocesan or secular priests like myself are under a bishop and we make
promises of obedience and celibacy. However, we are paid a salary and
can own property and have personal belongings. Religious priests are
under a religious superior and they take vows of obedience, celibacy
and poverty. Everything they have is shared with a religious
community. Monks also take a vow of enclosure.