Fat Free CRM looked so good... Installation problem rant

christia...@sys-admin.at

Aug 30, 2017, 6:58:46 PM8/30/17
to Fat Free CRM Users
It looked so promissing. I watched a video about Fat Free CRM on YouTube (https://youtu.be/dtOA111Lt1Q) and thought: Hey, that's what I was looking for.

So I downloaded FFCRM, unpacked the files... and was negatively surprised. What next? What are all those files for?

Then I revisited the website and learned I have to manually install it. Ok, so I followed the instructions, but not being a Ruby developer I had no idea, what ruby is, what gems are and what all this bundle/rake/whatever means....
And of course it didn't work. I couldn't complete the installation.

bundle install ended with this:

Gem::Ext::BuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    current directory: /home/user/.gem/ruby/2.2.0/gems/scrypt-3.0.5/ext/scrypt
rake22 RUBYARCHDIR=/home/user/.gem/ruby/2.2.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.2.0/scrypt-3.0.5
RUBYLIBDIR=/home/user/.gem/ruby/2.2.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.2.0/scrypt-3.0.5
sh: rake22: Kommando nicht gefunden.

rake failed, exit code 127

Gem files will remain installed in /home/user/.gem/ruby/2.2.0/gems/scrypt-3.0.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /home/user/.gem/ruby/2.2.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.2.0/scrypt-3.0.5/gem_make.out

An error occurred while installing scrypt (3.0.5), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install scrypt -v '3.0.5'` succeeds before bundling.

Really guys, maybe Fat Free CRM is the best light weight CRM, but you lost me.
I am really sorry and (you might guess right) frustrated, but FFCRM badly needs a hassle free installer.

Dear developers, get in touch with ordinary non-developer-people and ask them to install your software and observe what difficulties they have. And then find a solution for that.

Until FFCRM comes with an installer, I will have to try something else.
But I will check in from time to time and watch FFCRM. Maybe some day we will be friends again.

shaji.r...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2018, 12:57:58 AM2/21/18
to Fat Free CRM Users
same here. If you do find a more non-techie end-user friendly CRM, please let me know, as I will you.