Converting templates to erb

Javi R

Oct 20, 2015, 10:09:58 PM10/20/15
to Fat Free CRM Developers
Hi there, I'm a new user of Fat Free CRM, and I've started the task of translating the templates from haml to erb. The main reason is speed. Does that sound like a good idea? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve Kenworthy

Oct 20, 2015, 10:14:36 PM10/20/15
to fat-free...@googlegroups.com

Hi Javi,

I'm interested in hearing more. Is haml slower than erb? If so, I wasn't aware of that. Do you have any code or links with some numbers? I'd love to read more.

Speeding up CRM is definitely a good thing, but I'd love to back it with some benchmarks before you embark in a lot of work.

Thanks,
Steve

On Oct 21, 2015 10:09, "Javi R" <javieror...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there, I'm a new user of Fat Free CRM, and I've started the task of translating the templates from haml to erb. The main reason is speed. Does that sound like a good idea? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ademola Osindero

Oct 21, 2015, 6:43:00 AM10/21/15
to fat-free...@googlegroups.com
Hi Javi,

Converting from HAML to ERB for speed? Most people prefer HAML’s aptness as against the prosy XML-like erb. You might just spend more time on speeding the web server to deliver your CRM faster.

Regards,
Ademola Osindero

Javi R

Oct 21, 2015, 12:32:14 PM10/21/15
to Fat Free CRM Developers
Hi Steve,
I haven't run the tests myself, but you can check a pretty detailed comparison here, but a google search will show you quite a bit more sources.

Thanks.

Javi R

Oct 21, 2015, 12:36:29 PM10/21/15
to Fat Free CRM Developers
Yeeah, I'm not amongst that people, I prefer good old HTML, and designers are not always up to learn a new minimalistic templating language.

Thanks Ademola.

Ademola Osindero

Oct 21, 2015, 12:51:37 PM10/21/15
to fat-free...@googlegroups.com
Javi,

The difference in speed is just way too small to sacrifice the beauty of HAML for ERB. Below is a reference link you might look at for running a typical app on JRuby.

If you are looking for performance improvement, it will be more on the web server choice.

I am really not saying you can’t embark on the quest of translating to ERB but there are several other features you may help add to FFCRM. The UI is dying to get a forklift mixed with some decent modern style templates. And seriously you can even go ahead with your ERB on that.

Either way, good luck with the task.

Regards,
Ademola Osindero

Javi R

Oct 22, 2015, 12:40:52 PM10/22/15
to Fat Free CRM Developers
Ok, I guess I'm gonna follow your advice here. Yes I agree, the UI could use some styling, maybe that's a better area to put some effort. Problem is, I've been taking a look at it, and I don't know how to go integrate LESS into the mix. Any sugestion? Would be a good idea remove all the current stylings and start from scratch?

Thanks.