Version 8.5.7 and Java 8 support

Chase Tingley

Feb 9, 2022, 6:06:08 PM2/9/22
to fastutil
We have been using fastutil successfully under Java 1.8 for quite a while, but the most recent release (8.5.7) breaks this because the classes are compiled with version 53.0 (ie, JDK 1.9), producing stacks like this:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: it/unimi/dsi/fastutil/longs/Long2IntMap has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 53.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)

I believe this was caused by this commit.

There was no mention of dropping Java 8 support in the release notes (and it is a minor version update), so it is not clear to me if this was done on purpose or not. I couldn't find a general statement of support JDK versions on the fastutil repo or site -- is Java 8 no longer supported?

Thanks
ct

Sebastiano Vigna

Feb 10, 2022, 12:33:16 PM2/10/22
to fastutil
No, it's a stupid mistake. Fixed in a few hours, I'm uploading now.

Chase Tingley

Feb 11, 2022, 12:17:43 PM2/11/22
to fastutil
8.5.8 is in Maven now and is working again.  Thanks for the quick fix, Sebastiano!