Alerting/Notifications and Thresholds for Community versions

Sandeep

Aug 10, 2020, 1:25:44 PM8/10/20
to FastNetMon user group
Hello Pavel

First, I would like to thank you for work in making this amazing tool.

I am doing a small homelab project where I am doing some DDoS tests and using Fastnetmon to detect those DDoS attacks.

 I am having a couple of issues though:

1) How do I get an attack report like this on my terminal?

I have seen about email notifications etc, but this is in a VM which doesn't have an internet connection and so on. Is it still possible to get some kind of alert or notification on the system itself once a DDoS attack is detected according to a certain threshold?

2) How do I change the threshold levels?

I have played with the values in the fastnetmon.conf file but I didn't notice any kind of alert. I changed the bandwidth threshold to 100 M and even the pps threshold, but I didn't see anything. I am not sure if I am doing it correctly or not. Is there some kind of guide where this is explained for the community version?

3) Is it possible to have the same kind of alert/notification for the community version in Grafana as well?

Thank you a lot for your time

Pavel Odintsov

Aug 10, 2020, 1:28:05 PM8/10/20
to Kumar, FastNetMon user group
Hello!

Please check my answers below

1) You can use root or your Linux user name to get notifications from console

2) You need to check fastnetmon.conf, it's just 3 conf options required to enable attacks. You may check any slides or videos from community if you are looking for complete guide https://fastnetmon.com/press-room/

3) You can use your own script and create InfluxDB annotations from it: https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/features/datasources/influxdb/#annotations

Kind Regards,
Sandeep Shamboo

--