Excel Errors When Opening Files

Owen Derry

Sep 23, 2021, 6:21:05 PM9/23/21
to FastExcelV4
For several years, I have gotten the following error when opening some large Excel files:

<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>error154760_01.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\OwenData\Clients\Zinser\Greystone Senior\Applications\Transfer File.xlsx'</summary><repairedRecords><repairedRecord>Repaired Records: External formula reference from /xl/externalLinks/externalLink2.xml part (Cached values from external formula reference)</repairedRecord></repairedRecords></recoveryLog>

I have been using FastExcel for about 6 weeks now. The number of errors has gone down, but I still get some even after cleaning up the workbooks. These Excel files are all greater then 4 mb and have over 70,000 range names. I used ManagePro to clean up all the range names.,

I am using:

  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i3 @ 3.60GHz 38 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
        32.0GB RAM
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0V8F20 (U3E1)
        Graphics
   DELL P2219H (1920x1080@60Hz)
   DELL P2219H (1920x1080@59Hz)
   Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Dell)

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it? I have gone through many tips and suggestions and they don't seem to work.

Many thanks.

Charles Williams

Sep 24, 2021, 1:21:46 PM9/24/21
to FastExcelV4
Usually you get less of these kinds of errors if you convert to .XLSB format (save as XLSB).
Also opens and saves faster.
The only downside is that other software cannot read the file using the Office XML format.

Since this error is in external links it may be worth using Bill Manville's FindLinks to make sure you have not got links in strange places.