Enabling FD's Pruning methods?

Nishanth Kumar

Jan 5, 2021, 12:34:13 PM1/5/21
to Fast Downward
Hi all!

I recently noticed that FD has various pruning methods (documented at http://www.fast-downward.org/Doc/PruningMethod) and am interested in enabling these to see how they perform on some custom-written PDDL domains. However, I can't figure out how to enable any of these when running FD? It doesn't seem like there are any flags that can be passed to './fast-downward.py' to enable these, so I assume some options must be changed during the build process to enable these?

Any pointers or clarifications about how to enable these pruning methods are much appreciated!

Malte Helmert

Jan 5, 2021, 12:51:47 PM1/5/21
to fast-d...@googlegroups.com, Nishanth Kumar
Dear Nishanth,

the pruning method is part of the options for the search component that
are just mentioned generically as "COMPONENT_OPTION ..." in the usage
string that is displayed by "./fast-downward.py --help". Specifically,
the component options always include a specification of the search
algorithm used, and these search algorithms take a pruning method as a
parameter.

It's hard to explain this in a few words. The following pages may be useful:

http://www.fast-downward.org/Doc/SearchEngine
http://www.fast-downward.org/PlannerUsage
http://www.fast-downward.org/OptionSyntax

But it's probably easiest to learn from an existing example. I assume
you have an existing planner configuration to which you would like to
add the pruning option. Can you give us an example configuration (full
./fast-downward.py command-line) without pruning that you would like to
adapt?

Best,
Malte

Nishanth Kumar

Jan 7, 2021, 5:47:49 AM1/7/21
to Fast Downward
Hi Malte,

Thanks so much for the swift response. I was able to use an example from the link you posted (http://www.fast-downward.org/Doc/SearchEngine) to understand how to call pruning and it seems to have worked as intended.

Thank you!