Fast Downward and C#

davi...@umich.edu

Mar 13, 2022, 9:18:29 AM3/13/22
to Fast Downward
Hi everyone,

According to www.fast-downward.org/ForDevelopers/ChangelogFormat, part of Fast Downward was reimplemented in C# in late 2019. Is that correct? Github reports the project is 75% Python and 25% C++ with no C#. When my own C# applications require planning, I've always written PDDL files to disk and then called FD on those files through an OS-level (command-line-like) call. Is any closer relationship possible?

-david

Florian Pommerening

Mar 14, 2022, 4:32:13 AM3/14/22
to fast-d...@googlegroups.com
Dear David,

the page you mentioned is just meant to give examples of how to write
and format a change log entry. We have no plans to reimplement Fast
Downward in another language as this would be a massive project with
unclear benefits.

Currently, writing files to disk and then calling the planner is a
reasonable way of using Fast Downward if you don't want to implement
your own interface for calling Fast Downward's C++ code. In some cases
it could make sense to skip the translation of PDDL to SAS^+ and write
the translator output format directly:
https://www.fast-downward.org/TranslatorOutputFormat. This way, you
could call the search component directly and skip the Python driver
code. If file I/O is a bottleneck, you can also pass the contents of
this file directly to the input stream of the search component (creating
it only in memory without writing it disk).

Cheers
Florian

On 13.03.22 14:18, davi...@umich.edu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> According to www.fast-downward.org/ForDevelopers/ChangelogFormat, part
> of Fast Downward wasreimplemented in C# in late 2019. Is that correct?
> Github reports the project is 75% Python and 25% C++ with no C#. When my
> own C# applications require planning, I've always written PDDL files to
> disk and then called FD on those files through an OS-level
> (command-line-like) call. Is any closer relationship possible?
>
> -david
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fast-downward/293f4adb-05c7-4648-af3c-d6e3465261f5n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fast-downward/293f4adb-05c7-4648-af3c-d6e3465261f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Epstein

Mar 14, 2022, 5:14:06 AM3/14/22
to Fast Downward
OK, that makes sense. Thanks Florian! It popped up in a Google search and I didn't pay much attention to context. I thought the page might have been an April fools joke because it says to "Expect a performance increase of at least -37%
  in common cases" ! In a separate but related post I've asked Victor to explain how he ported FD to Android.