MuseScore 3.0 now supports 4 shapes and other shape note systems directly

Will Fitzgerald

Mar 14, 2019, 7:44:28 AM3/14/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
MuseScore is a music layout program like Finale, Sibelius, Harmony Assistant, Lilypad.

And it’s free!

And now it supports 4-shape and several seven shape systems.

See: https://musescore.org/en/handbook/3/notehead-scheme

I haven’t tried it yet, but this is exciting.

Will

Robert Vaughn

Mar 14, 2019, 8:10:02 AM3/14/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Will. FREE is always good!

Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.

Wade Kotter

Mar 14, 2019, 8:22:55 AM3/14/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Actually, MuseScore has supported 4 and 7 share notation for some time now using a free downloadable plugin. Perhaps that functionality has been built into the new 3.0 version. It still doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Finale, Sibelius or Dorico, (and Lilypond for that matter) but for our genre it does a great job based on the examples I've seen. I will continue to use Finale for the "conventional" arrangements I write for my church choir because I've developed a template and workflow that makes producing them a breeze, but I definitely will look into MuseScore for my fasola work. My advice is to try out MuseScore whatever other application you use now.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Will Fitzgerald

Mar 14, 2019, 9:09:41 AM3/14/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it’s built in now.

Actually, actually, actually, actually.

Wade Kotter

Mar 14, 2019, 9:52:14 AM3/14/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I see that now. As I said, I'm definitely going to try MuseScore. My fasola muse has been essentially silent for quite a long time but I do have a melody that keeps coming into my head that I want to harmonize if I can find an appropriate text. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what program the revision committee for the red book decides to use. I suspect that they will want to retain some of the "old style" notation features such as the vertical 4 dot repeat sign, which MuseScore doesn't seem to support directly, although I suspect there may be a work around. Again, I think everyone should try it.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Gregory Freed

Mar 17, 2019, 5:42:24 PM3/17/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded the app for my ipad and it's $49/yr after a 1 month free trial. Is it free somewhere else? Not that $49 is a king's ransom but I don't think I'm going to be writing lots of SH tunes unless the muse takes up more permanent residence in my head.

Will Fitzgerald

Mar 17, 2019, 7:18:37 PM3/17/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

I didn’t know the iPad app cost money. I was referring to the PC/Mac versions.

--
Will

Leland Ross

Mar 17, 2019, 9:16:28 PM3/17/19
to Fasola Songwriters
I've had two or three MuseScore versions on my computers (none of them Apple) over the years and have never had to pay for them. However, I've also never succeeded in actually using the shaped-note plugin.

Wade Kotter

Mar 18, 2019, 12:43:33 PM3/18/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
The basic MuseScore app for iOS is free (look right under the ratings):

‎MuseScore: sheet music

There is an "in app" purchase option to upgrade to MuseScore Pro; I guess this is where you're getting the $49.95.

As far as I can tell, the app has not been recently updated, and I don't know if the old shape note plugin option is even available on the lap. It appears that MuseScore Pro is a paid subscription based version with several "benefits," most of which apply to saving, sharing and publishing scores. Unfortunately, the mobile app doesn't appear to up been upgraded to version 3.0 so I assume in that version you would need to use the shapenote plugin.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Wade Kotter

Mar 18, 2019, 12:50:11 PM3/18/19
to 'Wade Kotter' via Fasola Songwriters
Here's the link to information on MuseScore Pro, which I intended to include in the previous email:

https://musescore.com/upgrade?feature=start-free-trial-new

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Gregory Freed

Mar 18, 2019, 1:25:30 PM3/18/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I should have looked around more before posting my question. The PC version is indeed free and works great (I surmise from a little plonking around on it.)