hospitality lyrics

David Olson

Jul 8, 2019, 7:38:08 PM7/8/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Hello songwriters.

I feel that we need more songs in Sacred Harp to acknowledge the role that hospitality plays in our tradition.

I live in Los Angeles, where the living room singings are more important for keeping the community alive than the all-day events.

We say "Social Singing" -- but sometimes, this merely means that narcissists are taking turns.

Circular narcissism in somebody else's living room...

Below is a terse Common Meter quatrain that came to me yesterday morning.

   A -- wake La -- za -- rus, rise up charged,
   Your sis -- ters host the Christ!
   Mar -- tha will serve, Ma -- ry pour nard,
   Each guest will share new life.

Lyrics copyright ©2019 David Norman Olson

It may be that I will write other verses, but this is will always be the highpoint.
(seems to need a preliminary)

In terms of Scripture, this derives from John 11 & 12 and completely ignores Luke.

MANY people are upset about the way Martha is treated in Luke. This quatrain is for them.

I'm definitely of the persuasion that lyricists should be lyricists, and composers be composers.

Best,

David Olson
Los Angeles