The trusty old PERSIMMON

Robert Vaughn

Apr 5, 2019, 11:19:09 AM4/5/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Attached is a tune I wrote back in October 2015. It came back to the front this morning while I was shredding some documents. I found a tenor line on an insurance paper and decided before I shredded the paper I'd better see if I ever did anything with it. I finally figured out I was looking at it upside down and eventually figured out that I had given it a name, harmonized it, but never finished setting it up with the words in Myriad Melody Assistant. So I added that this morning, and viola, here it is for your perusal, comments, and criticisms. (One of my own "criticisms" is that it has a familiar ring and may be a subconscious copy of something else. Maybe not.)

Next I'm going to reconsider the "Upside Down" version and see if it might work (probably not too many 6.8.6.8.D. hymns, though).

His glories sing,
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.
Persimmon.pdf

Will Fitzgerald

Apr 5, 2019, 11:38:08 AM4/5/19
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing this, Robert.

First part of chorus reminds me a bit of the second part of The Church’s Desolation (89 in 1991 edition). “Once she was all alive to the…” section.

I never get these right though :)

<Persimmon.pdf>

Wade Kotter

Apr 5, 2019, 11:39:39 AM4/5/19
to 'Robert Vaughn' via Fasola Songwriters
Interesting tune, Robert. I may be dreaming, but I hear a faint hint of HESTER (Cooper 336t), although it may be more the rhythm than the melody.

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"