Arrangement: AWESOME GOD

Robert Vaughn

Oct 10, 2018, 10:13:43 AM10/10/18
to Fasola Songwriters
We've been very quiet on here lately, so I thought I try to stir someone up a bit. CCM is not my thing, but one song I've always liked that came out of it is AWESOME GOD by Rich Mullins. This morning I got the idea to make a shape note arrangement of it. I don't expect it to make a great Sacred Harp crossover tune, but I think it might be fun to sing. I think an arrangement such as this just to sing is OK and doesn't violate copyright in that regard.

I (not a good music typesetter) couldn't get it on one page, and also couldn't get the "hanging brace" on the second page to come to the top. So it looks bad.

Any thoughts on such an arrangement?

His glories sing,
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.
Awesome God.pdf
Awesome God.mp3

Wade Kotter

Oct 10, 2018, 10:27:03 AM10/10/18
to Fasola Songwriters
Robert, forgive my ignorance, but what is CCM?

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Robert Vaughn

Oct 10, 2018, 12:31:31 PM10/10/18
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Wade,

CCM stands for "Contemporary Christian Music," which is (I think) generally considered a sort of "pop (Christian) music" influenced by secular pop and rock music. Your tradition may have avoided this type of music, but it is common in Baptist churches (probably others, but Baptist is what I know) that use praise bands, worship teams, and sing from words projected on a screen. Music is an art whose beauty is in the ear of the behearer, but I'm not a fan of most CCM.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can explain it better. (Anyway, the composer of AWESOME GOD was considered within that musical genre, CCM).

His glories sing,
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.

Oct 10, 2018, 1:49:23 PM10/10/18
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Nice job!  The treble is nice and melodic, and I think CCM would approve of the antiphonic bits.  :)

Matt Bell

R. C. Webber

Oct 10, 2018, 3:13:36 PM10/10/18
to Fasola Songwriters
It looks as though it might be fun to try.  Maybe I can take it to Lexington on Sunday.  The vertical centering of the single brace is an idiosyncrasy of the Myriad notation products.  I don't like it either but put up with it in my compositions on the grounds that it doesn't cause major problems with legibility.

Randy

Leland Ross

Oct 10, 2018, 10:50:06 PM10/10/18
to Fasola Songwriters

Leland Ross

Oct 10, 2018, 10:56:30 PM10/10/18
to Fasola Songwriters
Google just posted in my name while I was opening it. Sorry about the extra, useless post.

Robert, is the first half of the text your own rewrite, or is it mainly Mullins? I've never run across it. I think it works well here.

Robert Vaughn

Nice job!  The treble is nice and melodic, and I think CCM would approve of the antiphonic bits.  :)

Matt Bell

Robert Vaughn

Robert Vaughn

Oct 10, 2018, 11:14:24 PM10/10/18
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Randy. I'd be glad if you all sing it and report back on it.

In a way I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has this problem with Myriad, though it would be nice to know if there is a fix.

Thanks again.
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.

Google just posted in my name while I was opening it. Sorry about the extra, useless post.

Robert, is the first half of the text your own rewrite, or is it mainly Mullins? I've never run across it. I think it works well here.

Wade Kotter

Oct 10, 2018, 11:29:57 PM10/10/18
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Below are the original lyrics, which were written by Vernard Johnson (I got them from the Capital Christian Music Group website  ; Rich Mullin's was the composer and performer but not the lyricist. You might also want to check out this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w2b033DXCw The words in parentheses were sung by a background "choir."

Lyrics
When He rolls up His sleeves
He ain't just putting on the ritz
(Our God is an awesome God)
There's thunder in His footsteps
And lightning in His fists
(Our God is an awesome God)
And the Lord wasn't joking
When He kicked 'em out of Eden
It wasn't for no reason
That He shed His blood
His return is very close
And so you better be believing that
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God
And when the sky was starless
In the void of the night
(Our God is an awesome God)
He spoke into the darkness
And created the light
(Our God is an awesome God)
Judgment and wrath He poured out on the Sodom
Mercy and grace He gave us at the cross
I hope that you have not
Too quickly forgotten that
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God (Our God is an awesome God)
He reigns from heaven above (He reigns from heaven above)
With wisdom, power, and love (With wisdom, power, and love)
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
Our God is an awesome God
Songwriters: Vernard Johnson
Awesome God lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, Capitol Christian Music Group

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Ros’ Haruo

Oct 11, 2018, 4:16:28 PM10/11/18
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
Wow!  Thanks, Wade  That's "a whole different song" from what I've ever sung in church or seen in hymnals. And it would need more of a tune, I think.

For now, though, I'm happy with what Robert did. May take it to this Sunday's singing.

Leland Bryant Ross aka Ros' Haruo (呂須春男)
Delegito en Seattle, Universala Esperanto-Asocio
My Hymn Blog | Mia Himna Blogo — The Seattle Esperanto Society
Sankta Harmonio (formnotacia libro plurlingva) — Biblioteko Culbert

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Fasola Songwriters" group.

Robert Vaughn

Wade Kotter

Oct 11, 2018, 9:25:41 PM10/11/18
to fasola-so...@googlegroups.com
It's at the bottom of the lyrics that I gave you which, as I said, I found on the copyright owner's website. However, looking into this further other sources attribute both the words and music to Mullins. I'm thinking now that the "songwriters" that I found may be given create for arranging/altering the words. Sorry for misleading you on this, Robert. Apparently, Mullins' song has been covered by a number of artists in a variety of styles; in some cases, only the chorus is sung, such as in worship services, which I suspect explains why you've only heard the chorus.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

R. C. Webber

Oct 15, 2018, 8:46:14 AM10/15/18
to Fasola Songwriters
The Lexington folks enjoyed it yesterday.  It is amenable to singing at the written pitch, which helped me immensely the first time through.  (I am a bit slow when I try to sight sing and transpose simultaneously.)

Randy

Robert Vaughn