shapenote books and recordings web page update

Miriam A Kilmer

Oct 28, 2021, 3:17:50 PM10/28/21
to Fasola Discussions

I'm reviving my risingdove.com website after years of neglect. I've got a page of links to various shapenote books and recordings.

http://risingdove.com/sale/bookstoreshapenotes.asp

I am updating it due to popular demand (well, three popular people requested it).

At this point, my bookstore links are purely a labor of love. I'm a shapenote singer; I'm not Amazon, Alibris, Barnes & Noble, Abebooks, etc.

 You can help!

I'm missing links to buying the books listed below.

I already tried amazon, alibris, abebooks, barnes&noble, google, Steven Sabol's list, and fasola.org ~ (I learned when I was a small child not to say: "It's not there!")

Please help if you happen to know where the discerning public might be able to find copies. I already gave away my spares to a singer who pledged make sure people sing from them!

 Mennonite Hymnal, Shaped Notes; Herald Press, 1960

 An American Christmas Harp

 Christian Harmony:  Jeremiah Ingalls; Thomas B. Malone, ed   2005 (4 shapes)

 September Psalms: The Shape-Note Community Remembers

 An Eclectic Harmony I (I have found only one copy)

 An Eclectic Harmony II: A collection of tunes in a great variety of styles and meters from early seven-shape songbooks in use today and new compositions

 I have attempted to contact  these sellers: Karen Willard,  Richard Schmeidler, Thomas B. Malone, and Chris Noren. If you have current email addresses for them, please ask them to go to: http://ww.risingdove.com/contact.asp so they can contact me without putting anyone's email address on the list.

 Question re "Singing Baptists: Studies in Baptist Hymnody in America:" Are there any shapenote tunes or articles in this book? I don't know why it was on my page....

 If you would like to have a shape-note book, article, or review added to my site, please send me the information. Emphasis is on books that can be purchased and reviews on those books. Digital sources are also welcome. If your link changes, please let me know.

 Note: ShenandoahHarmony.com (for physical and book forms)  is having problems. Rachel Hall says they are working on it.

 Please contact me here or at http://www.risingdove.com/contact.asp

Robert Vaughn

Oct 29, 2021, 7:53:54 AM10/29/21
to Fasola Discussions, Miriam A Kilmer
Miriam,

Re "Singing Baptists: Studies in Baptist Hymnody in America":

An excerpt from its page at Baylor.edu:
"It is a collection of 'snapshots' which offer insight into some of the ways certain Baptists have written text and tunes, compiled hymnals and tunebooks, and used hymns in their lives."

I have a copy of this, and it does have articles about shape-note tunebooks. There are chapters on (at least) Southern Harmony, Christian Harmony, and The Little Seraph (by J. R. Graves). It has some pictures from these books as examples.

Hope this helps!
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---