I almost forgot how much I love to sing

Will Fitzgerald

Oct 10, 2022, 2:36:37 AM10/10/22
to Fasola Discussions
I almost forgot how much I love to sing, and the people I sing with. It's been a long pandemic, and the increasing distance between so-called red and blue America have brought me to dread the thought of singing together, especially traveling to singings far away.

But the biennial stockholder's meeting of the Sacred Harp Publishing Company took place on Saturday, and I was really curious what it would be like to sing some of the new songs submitted to the revision committee. There was also the Albright, Cates, Brown, and Sheppard Memorial Singing happening nearby on Sunday. So I decided to go, with some trepidation. Would I forget how to lead? Would I be a risk/be at risk for Covid? Would I punch someone in the face for saying stupid things on Facebook, or would I get punched for the same? Or more likely, feel an icy welcome or avoid certain people?

Saturday's meeting and singing of new tunes was great. I admit to being a bit of a meeting geek (what a terrible thing to admit), but meetings are often where things actually happen. Much more interesting was sight-singing 107 tunes to help the revision committee. It was such a strong singing: although not all strong singers are stockholders, any stockholder willing to show up to a meeting is likely to be a decent sight-singer. When you have such a group, your own singing becomes so much better as you rely on one another for pitch and rhythm.

Sunday's singing, held at Holly Springs PB Church in Bremen, Georgia, was everything I love about a small Southern singing: the community, the welcome, the music and spirit of the place, and (of course) the food. It was their first singing since October, 2019, and they had to move the location because their usual church building in Muscadine, Alabama is no longer functional. So they too were navigating a lot of changes and challenges. But the chair, Rene Green, and all those who were working behind the scenes provided us with a great location and a great opportunity to sing together, as well as to remember members of the family. It was very meaningful to me to lead 86 (Poland) in honor of Bill Beverly, one of my first Sacred Harp teachers, who was strongly influence by the Sheppards. And, although I may have been the only singer from outside the South there, they still lead a song to honor my fellow Midwesterner Ted Mercer.

Hanging out with folk put to rest (some of) the fears of the slow train wreck I think I've been expecting as I have watched frustrations over political differences, lack of singings, and the felt experience of the pandemic and our responses to it overflow into tricky interactions on social media. At the singings, some people wanted to talk football, some wanted to talk about the upcoming revision (everyone agrees, I think, that the revision committee is brave and competent and deserving of our respect), some wanted to talk about some of the divisions we are seeing, some (of course) wanted to talk about the food.

Most Southern singers are very aware they are part of a tradition which has now spread (or returned to) other places in the US, and indeed, the whole world. Some time ago, I was present when a respected Southern singer was asked what he thought of all these non-Southerners singing their music and participating in what, for many Southerners, is an important religious practice. I recall him saying that they were honored that so many people were so interested in Sacred Harp singing, that the non-Southerners brought needed vigor and energy and talent, and he said that he and others were glad to provide a place for people of no or little religious faith to interact with the Christian faith.

Most non-Southern singers are very aware that this tradition is of the South, that the South is a place to go to for good singing and to get better at singing, a place to learn and honestly examine the tradition, in its strengths and weaknesses, a land of "pure delight" for its strong singing, family connections, hospitality, and (of course) food. We are honored to be welcomed into their churches and other singing spaces, to learn from their wisdom and talent, and to watch some new generations of Southern singers come into place.

Whenever people gather, regularly, for any reason, there will occur problematic systems, patterns of behavior, and individual outrages. And these need to be, without a doubt, addressed. My personal experience of the pandemic years has been to see almost nothing but the problems. And, despite such heroic efforts by many, singing via remote technologies was very disappointing for me. I came close to leaving Sacred Harp singing all together.

Singing these past two days reminded me how much I love this music, how much I love singing this music, how much I love the people I sing it with (despite and because of their quirks), and how much the tradition nourishes me, both the religious aspects but also partaking its various non-religious traditions.

Who knows? I may get fed up again when I read angry responses to this post :) But I was invited to come down for the Alabama State Convention in November, and I'm seriously considering it.

(Also sent to Sacred Harp Friends on Facebook)

--
Will

patricia temple

Oct 10, 2022, 11:35:53 AM10/10/22
to will.fi...@gmail.com, Fasola Discussions
Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

Gabriel Kastelle

Oct 10, 2022, 3:32:03 PM10/10/22
to templ...@gmail.com, will.fi...@gmail.com, Fasola Discussions
Thanks very much and deeply for this encouraging missive.
Touches on so much, just rightly.

-- A Gabriel K
Eugene, OR

Carlton, David L

Oct 11, 2022, 6:59:13 AM10/11/22
to will.fi...@gmail.com, Fasola Discussions

Will,

                You won’t get any angry responses from me!  As a lifelong white southerner but one who is both geographically and temperamentally on the southern periphery, I am happy to have found that the “check your theology and politics at the door” rule still applies, and that we continue to be united by our shared love for, and commitment to, a cherished tradition.  It was great to return to Holly Springs (that wonderful space!) after some years and to sing with you and the others (I especially appreciate your effort to help bolster the thin ranks of trebles with me, Jeanette, and Amber!).  Please consider coming to Nashville for the 2023 United (Yes, people, we’re hosting next year), if not before!  Sing on, David.

David L. Carlton

Professor of History Emeritus, Vanderbilt University

2307 Belmont Blvd., Nashville, TN 37212

Phone: (H) 615.383.6293  (M) 615.715.6183

E-Mail: david....@vanderbilt.edu