96 MERCY SEAT (in Cooper 2012)

Haruo (Leland)

Sep 21, 2021, 2:55:51 AM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions
And, I imagine, in its predecessor edition, since the credit says 2005.

Anybody know what source John Etheridge arranged this tune from? It's not any of the 35 tunes used with the text in the Hymnary.org database.

Robert Vaughn

Sep 21, 2021, 9:46:54 AM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions, Haruo (Leland)
If memory serves, this is a tune used in Hoboken, Georgia for this "Mercy Seat" hymn. There is at least one print source for the tune -- Harp of Ages, No. 12.

His glories sing,
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 01:55:54 AM CDT, Haruo (Leland) <rosh...@gmail.com> wrote:

And, I imagine, in its predecessor edition, since the credit says 2005.

Anybody know what source John Etheridge arranged this tune from? It's not any of the 35 tunes used with the text in the Hymnary.org database.

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

Warren Steel

Sep 21, 2021, 11:53:57 AM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions, Haruo (Leland), rl_v...@yahoo.com
Leland asks:

Robert writes:
> [...]

If memory serves, this is one of the most popular tunes among Primitive Baptists, in Hoboken and elsewhere. It's in the Daily Hymn and Tune Book (1918), the Old School Hymnal, the Primitive Baptist Hymnal (PB2), and in the Parris-Deason Christian Harmony. It's often sung with no book at all.
--
Warren Steel mu...@olemiss.edu
Professor of Music Emeritus University of Mississippi

Fulton, Erin

Sep 21, 2021, 11:53:57 AM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions, Haruo (Leland), rl_v...@yahoo.com
This is, in my particular and unscientific experience, the most widely known "hymnbook tune" for "From ev'ry stormy wind." Perhaps two-thirds of people sing the hymn to some variant of this tune, while the other third use MEDITATION (or BOURBON or CONFLICT or whatever you prefer to call it). Once I heard it at a Goble singing to Thomas Hastings's RETREAT, but I think that is more generally regarded as a "tunebook tune" than a "hymnbook tune."

I haven't looked through my notes, but the earliest printing I know of off the top of my head is in Daily's collection. His version is rather different from the Harp of Ages one.

Best,

E. Fulton.

Sep 21, 2021, 11:53:57 AM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions, Haruo (Leland), rl_v...@yahoo.com
I've also heard this tune used with this text at various "Lloyd's book" singings, including Mt. Pisgah in Stroud, AL. "Lloyd's book" is a reference to Benjamin Lloyd's Primitive Hymns, a words-only book first published in 1841 and still used in many Primitive Baptist churches. At the "Lloyd's book" singings I've participated in, the tunes are sung from memory. My guess is that John Etheridge wrote his arrangement based on what he heard, quite likely at Hoboken, and not on any printed source. The fact that there's an arrangement in Harp of Ages from Texas indicates that it was known pretty widely in Primitive Baptist circles for many years.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Warren Steel

Sep 21, 2021, 12:35:53 PM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions, Haruo (Leland), rl_v...@yahoo.com, erinf...@uky.edu
Erin writes that the tune is sung widely, often without notes. She adds:

>>>I haven't looked through my notes, but the earliest printing I know of off the top of my head is in Daily's collection. His version is rather different from the Harp of Ages one.

Thanks, Erin. This may be the first one.
Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book, by John R. Daily, Luray, Va., and E. W. Thomas, Danville Ind. Copyright 1902, printed and bound by the Ruebush-Kieffer Co., Dayton Va.
[pages 2-32 consists of Rudiments and Graded Lessons, by Hall and Ruebush] "Mercy-seat" is on p. 207; the only attribution is "Arr."

Steve Nickolas

Sep 21, 2021, 12:35:53 PM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions
On Tue, 21 Sep 2021, Fulton, Erin wrote:

> This is, in my particular and unscientific experience, the most widely
> known "hymnbook tune" for "From ev'ry stormy wind." Perhaps two-thirds
> of people sing the hymn to some variant of this tune, while the other
> third use MEDITATION (or BOURBON or CONFLICT or whatever you prefer to
> call it). Once I heard it at a Goble singing to Thomas Hastings's
> RETREAT, but I think that is more generally regarded as a "tunebook
> tune" than a "hymnbook tune."

The one hymnal I know I have it in uses RETREAT (The Methodist Hymnal,
1966).

-uso.

Wade Kotter

Sep 21, 2021, 2:05:57 PM9/21/21
to Fasola Discussions, Steve Nickolas
Just to add some grist to the mill, this text is printed with Hasting's RETREAT in Durand's and Lester's Hymn and Tune Book for Use in Old School or Primitive Baptist Churches (1886), which was published by the D. H. Goble Printing Company:

https://archive.org/details/hymntunebookforu00dura/page/230/mode/2up

 Also, I believe when Erin uses the phrase "hymnbook tune" she is referring to tunes song as singings from words-only hymn books among Primitive Baptists and related groups. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Erin.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fasola-discussions/alpine.DEB.2.21.2109211213550.22382%40sd-119843.dedibox.fr.

John Hollingsworth

Sep 23, 2021, 2:17:04 PM9/23/21
to fasola-di...@googlegroups.com

We occasionally sing the song "RETREAT" from the CHRISTIAN HARMONY, and of course the song "MERCY SEAT" .  John Hollingsworth

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fasola-discussions/1139538916.283771.1632243490639%40mail.yahoo.com.

Fulton, Erin

Sep 24, 2021, 12:43:31 AM9/24/21
to Fasola Discussions, Steve Nickolas, wadek...@yahoo.com
Yes, Wade, that was what I meant to imply. We have a different repertoire for "hymnbook singing" than for "tunebook singing." To sing this hymn at a tunebook singing, it would simply depend on which book you were singing from. I am most accustomed to hearing it that way in the Four States from Good Old Songs (which gives RETREAT). At a hymnbook singing in the same region, either "its own" major tune, which we have been discussing, or MEDITATION et al., would be more typical.

There are also cases in which the same tune has fairly different versions between its tunebook and hymnbook forms, especially with regard to "defuging" or shortening tunes.

Best,

E. Fulton.

Sep 24, 2021, 12:43:32 AM9/24/21
to Fasola Discussions, Steve Nickolas, Fulton, Erin
Again, just for fun, I believe this is the first printing of the Hasting's tune "Mercy-Seat" which later became known as RETREAT:

I'm guessing that the name RETREAT comes from the last word of the third line of the first verse.