Two additional early printings of the STAR IN THE EAST text

Wade Kotter

Oct 7, 2022, 4:36:45 PM10/7/22
to Fasola Discussions
I just came across two early printings of the STAR IN THE EAST text that may predate or at least be contemporaneous with the1823 Brick Church Hymns printing:

From Vol 1 No. 47 p, 4 (1822-12-21) of The Christian Secretary:

https://archive.org/details/sim_christian-secretary_1822-12-21_1_47/page/n3/mode/2up [you'll need to zoom in to see it]
From Vol 5 No. 8 p, 195 (1823-03-27) of the Christian Herald :

Enjoy!

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Wade Kotter

Oct 8, 2022, 10:32:20 AM10/8/22
to Will Fitzgerald, Fasola Discussions
Yes, of course, Will. I should have made it clear that I was referring to the anonymous reworking of Heber's original poem which uses the first stanza of Heber's original as a chorus and adds the anonymous "Hail the blest morn..." stanza as the first verse. Here's a direct link to Heber's original:

https://archive.org/details/hymnspublishedin00hebe/page/696/mode/2up

And here's the first printing of the anonymous reworking of Heber's text with the STAR IN THE EAST tune:

https://archive.org/details/southernharmonym0000walk/page/16/mode/1up

Sorry for the confusion.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"
Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

Barry Johnston

Oct 9, 2022, 3:15:14 AM10/9/22
to Fasola Discussions
It also appears in John Hickok's The Sacred Harp, page 140, in 1832,

Barry Johnston

Oct 9, 2022, 3:15:14 AM10/9/22
to Fasola Discussions
Comparison of these tunes is found at

Barry Johnston

Oct 9, 2022, 3:15:14 AM10/9/22
to Fasola Discussions
Here is a link to Hickok's p. 140:

Barry Johnston

Oct 9, 2022, 3:15:14 AM10/9/22
to Fasola Discussions
I believe the following is the first printing of the tune (1831) with the combination text, arrangement by Deodatus Dutton.