Wyeth's Part Second

32 vues

Fulton, Erin

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 11:15:1126/03/2021
à Fasola Discussions
Is there a scan of Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music, Part Second available anywhere? It's not in Shaw-Shoemaker, nor does it appear in any of the usual places online.

Alternatively, would someone who owns the facsim be willing to scan theirs and share it with me? I do not have a copy and our library is still not doing ILL, alas.

Thanks,

E. Fulton.

Fynn Titford-Mock

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:35:1026/03/2021
à erinf...@uky.edu,Fasola Discussions

Hi Erin,

this has been on my to-do list for a while - I have the facsimile and will see if I can scan it sometime in the coming week.
Best,
Fynn

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

David Olson

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:35:1026/03/2021
à Fulton, Erin,Fasola Discussions

Paul Setford

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:35:1026/03/2021
à Fasola Discussions,Fulton, Erin
Try Archive.org. They have a downloadable copy.

Regards

Paul Setford

Gabriel Kastelle

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:58:1726/03/2021
à pauls...@yahoo.co.uk,Fasola Discussions,Fulton, Erin
The IMSLP has loaded more and more tunebooks in recent years,
along with their more usual sheet music.

I've found surprising, easy riches there;
click around a bit and one can usually find free download &/or view.

Time travel much, Finn?  or are these different uploading tunebook "Finn"s ?

e.g.

LA!

-- A. Gabriel Kastelle --
Tsanchiifin, Kalapuya Ilihi
     (d.b.a. Eugene, OR)

Wade Kotter

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:58:1726/03/2021
à Fasola Discussions,Fulton, Erin,pauls...@yahoo.co.uk
Paul, as I said in my response to David, the two "parts" were published three years apart. The first, published in 1810, was titled simply "Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music." The second part (not a second edition of the first part) was published in 1813 and was titled "Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music, Part Second" with very different musical contents. The archive.org scan is of a later edition of the first part.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Wade Kotter

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:58:1726/03/2021
à erinf...@uky.edu,Fynn Titford-Mock,Fasola Discussions
Thanks, Fynn. This is another great service to scholarship to add to all the other scans you have made available. The facsimile is of the 1820 2nd edition but my understanding is that there are no differences between the musical content of the first and second editions, although I could be wrong. I wonder if there is anyone out there who has access to a copy of the 1813 first edition?

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Fynn Titford-Mock

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:58:1726/03/2021
à da...@thirdculture.com,Fasola Discussions

David, and Paul - the book scanned and uploaded on the Internet Archive is Wyeth's Repository Part First - a quite different collection.

Sent from my FairPhone

On 26 Mar 2021 6:35 pm, David Olson <da...@thirdculture.com> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 8:15 AM Fulton, Erin <erinf...@uky.edu> wrote:
Is there a scan of Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music, Part Second available anywhere? It's not in Shaw-Shoemaker, nor does it appear in any of the usual places online.

Alternatively, would someone who owns the facsim be willing to scan theirs and share it with me? I do not have a copy and our library is still not doing ILL, alas.

Thanks,

E. Fulton.

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

Wade Kotter

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 13:58:1726/03/2021
à Fulton, Erin,David Olson,Fasola Discussions
That's not what she's looking for, David. The two "parts" were published three years apart. The first, published in 1810, was titled simply "Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music." The second part (not a second edition of the first part) was published in 1813 and was title "Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music, Part Second" with very different musical contents. The archive.org scan is of a later edition of the first part.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

David Olson

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 14:25:1426/03/2021
à Fasola Discussions
oops.

Choral Wiki has a nice TOC, and Barry Johnson has uploaded almost all the Elkanah Kelsey Dare compositions.

Otherwise, the unique material in Part Second is mostly missing.

archive's scan for Part Second is only 7 pages from front and back

the typography on the single page of music reproduced -- definitely worth a screenshot.

Sharp Key on Gothic Letter , with faded key signature

sorry for muddying the water

david olson

Gabriel Kastelle

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 14:25:1426/03/2021
à Wade Kotter,erinf...@uky.edu,Fynn Titford-Mock,Fasola Discussions
oops-- sorry--
--I did a search for "Part Second", understanding the separate and different character of the two Wyeth volumes,
and didn't notice that the links I found and shared also were the mistaken links to editions of earlier first collection--
--sorry for slight miss on this search,
but my observation about increasing tunebook availabilities on IMSLP was my main point, and is still good, I think.

-- AGK

Wade Kotter

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 14:38:4426/03/2021
à David Olson,Fasola Discussions
David, there are several "scans" at archive.org that only include scans of any handwritten material added or inserted into the original case. Many of them, such as this one, come from copies held by the American Antiquarian Society. They are the ones who chose to scan only the manuscript material While I appreciate the work Baryy has done, I always prefer to see the original.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Fulton, Erin

non lue,
26 mars 2021, 18:58:5126/03/2021
à Fasola Discussions
Thank you to Fynn and Dr. Pen for the help! A few clarifications, should others be working with/after this source:

Archive.org has several different editions of Wyeth's Repository (the first one, I mean), but only a very fragmentary scan of Part Second, as others have noted.

The Archive.org scan of Part Second is "weird" because it is part of AAS's manuscript annotations project. There used to be a landing page for it on GIGI, but it looks like it's down for maintenance right now. Admittedly, I've never entirely grokked their approach to this project.

I'm trying to confirm whether the (textual) typefaces used match another roughly contemporaneous publication, so Barry's PDFs, while lovely, do not do me much in the way of good. I am aware of and do very much appreciate the table of contents on CPDL.

Because of the date, comparison images from the 1820 version/Da Capo facsim are more personally useful to me rather than the 1813, though I don't have any particular reason to believe that the text face changed from one to the other edition.

By the way, there is an 1813 copy relatively near me (at Hardin-Simmons), but I've always had so much else on my plate while visiting there that I've never had them page it.

Best,

E. Fulton.