M. L. Dakan and Shenandoah 108

Haruo (Leland)

Feb 11, 2024, 3:04:14 AMFeb 11
to Fasola Discussions
The Shenandoah Harmony (#108) attributes this hymn AMAZING-GRACE-Mansfield.jpg to #298 in the American Vocalist (1848), and gives the composer information as "Arr. D. H. Mansfield, 1848, and D. L. Makan". But at least on the tune page, the American Vocalist (above) doesn't give a composer name. Now D. H. Mansfield was the editor of the American Vocalist, so it's not at all unlikely that he had a hand in this tune, though whether as composer or arranger, I don't have a guess. But D. L. Makan is unknown to me; not mentioned in the Hymnary database (whereas Mansfield is credited with a number of tunes, all of them as "Composer" rather than "Arranger", but not including this one unless it went by another name in another book). Anybody know anything about him? Or her, or them?

Robert Vaughn

Feb 11, 2024, 9:32:56 AMFeb 11
to Fasola Discussions, Haruo (Leland)
Leland,

M. L. Dakan is a member of the Shenandoah Harmony Music Committee. See here:

My assumption would be that he did some arranging of the tune as found in Shenandoah Harmony.

His glories sing,
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.

On Sunday, February 11, 2024 at 02:04:15 AM CST, Haruo (Leland) <rosh...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Shenandoah Harmony (#108) attributes this hymn AMAZING-GRACE-Mansfield.jpg to #298 in the American Vocalist (1848), and gives the composer information as "Arr. D. H. Mansfield, 1848, and D. L. Makan". But at least on the tune page, the American Vocalist (above) doesn't give a composer name. Now D. H. Mansfield was the editor of the American Vocalist, so it's not at all unlikely that he had a hand in this tune, though whether as composer or arranger, I don't have a guess. But D. L. Makan is unknown to me; not mentioned in the Hymnary database (whereas Mansfield is credited with a number of tunes, all of them as "Composer" rather than "Arranger", but not including this one unless it went by another name in another book). Anybody know anything about him? Or her, or them?

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---