Tune -- Bath Abbey?

Robert Vaughn

Apr 12, 2024, 11:53:39 PMApr 12
to Fasola Discussions
While researching the Joseph Swain hymn “Mutual Encouragement/Brethren, while we sojourn here,” I found that in his Walworth Hymns, he recommends it be sung with “Bath Abbey Tune”. The meter is 7s (8 lines). It is recommended in another case of 7s meter (but with four lines).

Is anyone here familiar with a tune called BATH ABBEY?

Thanks. Have a great day.

His glories sing,
Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.

Wade Kotter

Apr 13, 2024, 2:14:40 AMApr 13
to Fasola Discussions, rl_v...@yahoo.com
Robert, according to the Hymn Tune Index, BATH ABBEY originally appeared as "Hymn 10" in the following collection:

Milgrove, Benjamin, of Bath. Twelve Hymns . . . Dedicated to . . . the Countess of Huntingdon. Book III. Bath: The author, 1781. 45p.; upright; engraved. GB-Lbl: G.502.(5). 11 tunes (4, o); 1 set piece. <Fh>

https://archive.org/details/imslp-hymns-and-a-favourite-lyric-poem-milgrove-benjamin/page/n20/mode/1up  [continues on next page; melody is in the Treble]

It first appeared under the name BATH ABBEY in the following collection, but I can't find a scan:

Rippon, [Rev.] John. A Selection of Psalm and Hymn Tunes. [London]: Mr. Rippon, [c.1792]. In 6’s: a–b6, A2, B–R6; engraved. GB-Lbl: A.481.(1). 249 tunes (3–4, f); 1 canon, 1 oratorio excerpt, 7 set pieces. <Fm>

The earliest printing in America for which I can find a scan is in the following, under the name MAIDSTONE

Woodward, Charles, of Philadelphia. Ecclesiae Harmonia. A selection of sacred music. Ed.2. Philad[elphi]a: W. W. Woodward and the editor, (1809). 108p.; oblong; engraved, 4-shape shapenotes. SS 19262, C 532. US-WOa (MWA). 146 tunes (3–4); 2 anthems, 3 set pieces. <Cs>

https://archive.org/details/eccles00wood/page/91/mode/1up [melody is in the Treble]

The earliest printing in America under the name BATH ABBEY is in the following collection:

Shaw, Oliver [of Providence]. The Providence Selection of Psalm and Hymn Tunes. Dedham: H. Mann and Co. for the author, 1815. 127p.; upright; typeset. SS 35913. US-WOa (MWA). 106 tunes (–3–4); 4 set pieces. <Cs>

https://archive.org/details/providenceselect00shaw/page/69/mode/1up [melody is in the middle staff]

Hope this helps. The Hymn Tune Index is your friend. https://hymntune.library.illinois.edu/

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"
Virus-free. www.avast.com

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

E. E. Hardy

Apr 13, 2024, 2:14:51 AMApr 13
to rl_v...@yahoo.com, Fasola Discussions
Hi Robert,

It's a tune by Benjamin Milgrove, who was the organist and precentor at Lady Huntingdon's chapel in Bath. It was evidently well-liked by English Baptists; it is a recommended tune in Beddome's hymns, and Rippon's selection, as well as Swain's. It's used for both for 7s. and 8.7. (8 lines).

It can also be found in American tune books such as Genuine Church Music , and The Boston Handel and Haydn Society Collection.

Blessings in Christ,
Ethan Hardy

Robert Vaughn