Another 1842 version of 513 JOYFUL

Wade Kotter

Jan 4, 2022, 12:05:31 AM1/4/22
to Fasola Discussions
I just came across this interesting version of 513 JOYFUL, printed in 1842, the same year as the version in the Millenial Harp that is cited in The Makers:

https://archive.org/details/sim_american-journal-of-music-and-musical-visitor_1842-05-04_2/page/n3/mode/2up?view=theater

This is in the May 4 1842 issue of the Musical Visitor (aka The Boston Musical Visitor), a semi-monthly periodical.

There's an intersting comment on this tune at the top of column just to the right of the music. It says:

""When I can read my title clear." OR "On Canaan's Happly Shore."A correct arrangement of this tune may be found in the present No. of the Visitor. Spurious copies of this tune have appeared on sheets, not however as it has always been previously sung. We recommend that it be sure as here published."

Here's the Millennial Harp version:

https://archive.org/details/millennialharpor00hime_0/page/4/mode/2up?view=theater

I llike B. F. White's 1844 arrangement, including the text he chose, much better than either of these.Emoji

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Wade Kotter

Jan 4, 2022, 1:34:23 AM1/4/22
to Fasola Discussions
Last sentence of the quote should be "We recommend that it be sung as here published."

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"
Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---