Love Divine and SAMARIA/FELLOWSHIP

Leland Ross

Mar 29, 2024, 9:58:58 AMMar 29
to Fasola Discussions
In his Liturgical Harp, p. 10, Duncan Vinson says in a footnote to his setting of HYFRYDOL, "Another setting of these words in The Sacred Harp: LOVE DIVINE (30t or 330t)". As far as I know 30t is the only "Love Divine" setting in The Sacred Harp (at least in the 1991 edition, which seems to be the edition Mr. Vinson has in mind when he doesn't specify another). 330t is HORTON, which is entirely different both metrically and textually. Anybody know what he meant by "or 330t" here?

On an nearly unrelated note, tied in only by having p. 330 in common, I noticed that in the "Songs Listed by Page" index at Fasola.org, if I go to 330t HORTON and replace the t with a b, "330B" is said to be SAMARIA, which I know perfectly well is 26. The one in the index list is correct; it's only when I do a manual editing of the URL that I get this...

330B Samaria.jpg

Weird. No clue what would cause this or how it can be corrected (or if it should be; maybe there's an arcane but real reason for leaving it this way.

Leland Bryant Ross aka Ros' Haruo (呂須春男)
Delegito en Seattle, Universala Esperanto-Asocio
My Hymn Blog | Mia Himna Blogo — The Seattle Esperanto Society
Sankta Harmonio (formnotacia libro plurlingva) — Biblioteko Culbert

Wade Kotter

Mar 29, 2024, 11:10:38 AMMar 29
to Fasola Discussions, Leland Ross
Leland, in the 1991 ed., LOVE DIVINE is 30t, but in the 2012 Cooper Revision, LOVE DIVINE is 330t.

When I use the following URL I get FELLOWSHIP: https://fasola.org/indexes/1991/?p=330b It appears that the anomaly you've found is a result of editing the URL, which seems to confuse the server. If you use the Index as it is designed to be used (without editing the URL) there is no problem.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

John Plunkett

Mar 29, 2024, 11:10:50 AMMar 29
to rosh...@gmail.com, Fasola Discussions
330t is Love Divine (T. Waller, as a 3 parter) in the White book revision.  (30t is Rochester).

John Plunkett

David Olson

Mar 29, 2024, 1:42:58 PMMar 29
to jhplu...@gmail.com, rosh...@gmail.com, Fasola Discussions
It's a property of fasola.org website that if you search for non-existent pagination (or: if you use upper-case T or B), you get "Samaria".

107t Samaria, 40b Samaria, ...

Effectively, "Samaria" has the meaning: "no such page number".

You can think of this as a design flaw, but I hope it doesn't get fixed.
Humorous. Has character.
So Denson-cousinly...

Great website! Thanks to everyone who maintains it.

David Olson

Robert Vaughn

Mar 29, 2024, 5:49:45 PMMar 29
to Leland Ross, Fasola Discussions
Leland,

330t is the original BF White placement of LOVE DIVINE, and where it is still found in The Sacred Harp editions of WM Cooper and JL White. When the Densons downsized the James book in the 1930s, quite a few songs appeared on the “same” page number—that is, ending the same last digits with 100s shaved, as in 330 vs. 30. Check LET US SING. Pretty sure it’s one of those.

Robert Vaughn
Mount Enterprise, TX
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way
For ask now of the days that are past...
Give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.