Re: [fasola-discussions] Digest for fasola-discussions@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Leland Ross

Mar 2, 2024, 2:39:32 PMMar 2
to fasola-di...@googlegroups.com
That looks like a VERY good one-page intro for the purpose! Will the Shenandoah one be the same except for the list of good tunes to try; if not, what else will differ?

Leland Bryant Ross aka Ros' Haruo (呂須春男)
Delegito en Seattle, Universala Esperanto-Asocio
My Hymn Blog | Mia Himna Blogo — The Seattle Esperanto Society
Sankta Harmonio (formnotacia libro plurlingva) — Biblioteko Culbert

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:44 PM <fasola-di...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Baltimore Shape Note Singing <baltimore...@gmail.com>: Feb 28 10:15AM -0800

I made a design to print out on sticker paper to place on the inside front
cover of our Denson loaner books. They feature a few “quick reference”
items, including a quick overview of the shape notes, the hollow square,
the four parts of the tune. There is a list of helpful links and, most
useful, a short list of some relatively easy and popular tunes to call for
folks who are completely new to singing.

Someone on facebook asked me if there was a way to download it, but since
it had Baltimore specific information, I made a "universal" revision and
uploaded it to our blog:
https://www.baltimoreshapenote.org/2024/02/27/our-new-loaner-books/

Photos of the books and a download of the PDF is available.

We used them last night for the first time and a few first-time singers
availed themselves of the list, which was very gratifying. My experience
(though limited) has been that new people calling a song out at random
often gets a song the group isn't that familiar with, and so it's not a
good assured singing, and so people feel they "made a bad choice" and
that's awkward, or just "bad feedback" for someone who maybe nervous about
all the new stuff in the first place.

I'm going to do one for the Shenandoah Harmony book that we also sing from.

Kevin Isaac

Baltimore Shape Note Singing

Mar 3, 2024, 5:04:47 AMMar 3
to Fasola Discussions
Thank you for your kind words.
I have been considering just that. I have a few friends in the group making notes for "THE LIST".
But I don't see a reason to deviate on the other material. We use both tunebooks and it would, of course, mean repetition, but also they are there to serve a very narrow purpose: the ability to say "If you're new, open either tunebook and there is some basic information about some fundamentals, some very handy links for more information, and then a list of good songs to call if you're not sure what to say."

Otherwise, I've thought about designing an 8 or 12 page introductory booklet (cribbing from much of the material out there) and then having a thousand printed so (maybe) they're cheap enough to give away to new singers. Maybe other local groups would want to pick up a couple hundred at cost? But maybe the days of cheap booklet printing are over.

Kevin