Funk Tunebook Available Online

Fulton, Erin

Apr 12, 2021, 4:33:48 PM4/12/21
to Fasola Discussions
For those interested in Germanophone shape-note hymnody, the Mennonite Library and Archives has recently scanned and uploaded their copy of Joseph Funk's Allgemein nützliche Choral-Music (Harrisonburg, VA: gedruckt bey Laurentz Wartmann, 1816), which I don't believe had been available online before. Here's the link: https://mla.bethelks.edu/books/783_952_F965a_1816/

Best,

E. Fulton.

Wade Kotter

Apr 12, 2021, 5:19:12 PM4/12/21
to Fasola Discussions, Fulton, Erin
Thanks for the heads up, Erin.

Wade

Wade Kotter
South Ogden, UT
"Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord"

Google Groups "Fasola Discussions" Email List
FAQ: http://ej345.com/fasola/Fasola-Discussions-FAQ.html
---

Barry Johnston

May 5, 2021, 1:59:04 PM5/5/21
to Fasola Discussions
That's great! Thanks for providing the link.
Now on to another Joseph Funk book, A Compilation of Genuine Church Music, first edition (1832). The second edition (1835) is widely available, but I haven't been able to find the first edition.
This book is important because it stands between two very influential books: The Christian Lyre (1830-31) and Southern Harmony (1835). As I study them, it seems each of the three was used by the following one to some extent.

Wade Kotter