Building a PTO-Driven Windrow Turner

Guy Pledger

May 29, 2012, 4:22:33 PM5/29/12
to farm...@googlegroups.com

In regards to a community windrow turner, I came across an interesting manual for building one:

Once on this page, the manual is to the right. They claim it can be built "for approximately $3,550 in materials and 130-140 hours in labor. It can be used to manage compost windrows five feet high and up to 12 feet wide." That could make for a very fun and useful project :)

In regards to chemicals in the yard trimmings, I agree that is an important topic. A nasty herbicide known as Imprelis was recalled last year. It was found to degrade by 60% after 200 days of composting, though it had a half-life of just 50 days in the soil. It was found to be damaging to plant trials of beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes (BioCycle, June 2011). I suppose there other products on the market that could be more persistent.

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM, <farm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/farmshed/topics

    "Mary Maller" <nam...@wi-net.com> May 26 10:42AM -0500

    This information about three courses offered in Green Bay at the NW
    Technical College this summer comes from Jane Hansen at the
    wilocalfoodnetor. Titles of the courses are:

    Organic Specialty Animals

    Managed Grazing

    Small Farm Machinery and Equipment.

    This offers possibilities for local participation with car-pooling to Green
    Bay or inspiration for courses that could be offered here either through the
    Greenhouse Project, MREA or the technical college.

    Contact Valerie Dantoin for more information:

    Valerie Dantoin Adamski

    Faculty, Organic & Sustainable Food & Farming Certificate

    Northeast Wisconsin Technical College

    Green Bay, Wis

    Valerie...@nwtc.edu

    (920) 498-5568

    Katrina Becker <katrina...@gmail.com> May 26 07:26AM -0500

    Hi all
    We have only had a couple of RSVPs and want to encourage anyone who is
    planning on coming to call us 715-432-4683. Given the possible impending
    weather we will have the farm tour but most liekly will not be
    transplanting usless it is very light rain or no rain at all. We will have
    lots of other farm related things to do if you are interested in the
    hoophouses and will still guie you through our transplanting processes from
    greenhouse to the field using techniques including hand transplanting,
    raised bed making, soild media choice, mechanical transplanting, mulching
    etc.
    Kat

    Whitefeather <whitefeath...@gmail.com> May 25 12:01PM -0700

    Hi; as well would be willing to collaborate on a compost effort, I
    have skid loader and dump trailer and trying to get a windrow turner
    in the long view. I have my own large compost operation going on,
    but we could make a space for the greenhouse.. All in trade for
    greenhouse sponsorship? if interested call to hatch out details.
    Tony

    drgarlic <drga...@wittenbergnet.net> May 26 02:36AM -0700

    On May 25, 1:01 pm, Whitefeather <whitefeatherorgan...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > but we could make a space for the greenhouse..  All in trade for
    > greenhouse sponsorship? if interested call to hatch out details.
    > Tony

    A community windrow turner has been a dream of mine for several
    years. All of us compost makers could be served by one machine.
    Let's make it happen!

    Katrina Becker <katrina...@gmail.com> May 26 07:22AM -0500

    dave, you use a manure spreader don't you? using a small manure spreader
    has worked well for us and is much cheaper in the short term than a windrow
    turner or course.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group farmshed.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

Nami Moon

May 30, 2012, 1:30:39 PM5/30/12
to farmshed
I'm sure everyone knows about Busy Bee too, up near Mosinee.

He fabricated his compost turners himself, and he's got a couple of
VERY impressive machines there. I'm sure that he could at least
verify the manual's materials and time quote, and maybe he'd even be
willing to help out. He says he's "retired", but that's hard to
believe : )

Chris