fargo.io freezes for minutes when opened in Firefox and Chrome

Mark Anderson

Mar 7, 2016, 6:05:50 AM3/7/16
to fargo2
Over the last week I've noticed that fargo.io is freezing every time I open in either Firefox or Chrome on both Mac and Linux. You cannot interact with any element with the fargo.io tab at all e.g. the menus, outline, links on the right hand side. Chrome will prompt you to see it you wish to wait or kill the fargo.io tab. I tried in private/incognito mode on both browsers with the same result.

It seems to freeze for around 4 minutes or so before it is usable.

I've attached a screenshot from the Firefox web console.

The 4 minute freeze happens between the following lines at the foot of the log:

GET http://scripting.com/images/2011/08/19/newicon.gif

and

GET XHR https://api.dropbox.com/1/metadata/sandbox/%23prefs/urls.json

It is only after the above line appears in the console that you can interact with fargo.io

Please let me know if any further debugging information would be useful.

Thanks,
Mark
Screenshot from 2016-03-07 09-41-59.png

Dave Winer

Mar 7, 2016, 10:20:04 AM3/7/16
to far...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report. A few comments.

1. It sounds like something another user reported here a few days ago. The files he was having problems with are the same ones you are.

2. He didn't report a delay of four minutes, but it's possible he didn't wait that long.

3. All the calls are to the Dropbox API.

4. I am having no problems here. And I've ased a few other people who I know are regular Fargo users, and they're having no problems either.

5. Oddly I read a bit about long delays loading JavaScript pages in this post. It has nothing to do with Fargo, but I just read it today.

#### How to proceed

I'm glad you have enough technical expertise to open the console and know which lines are in error. That makes a huge difference.

My guess is something changed in the Dropbox API.

Do you have a cmsPrefs.opml file in your Fargo directory? If not, try adding one. There are docs on the fargo.io site.

Anyone who wants to can search for info about updates to the Dropbox API. I fear that ultimately is what we're looking at here. Eventually Dropbox will break Fargo, that's the way these things go. Hopefully this is not the day.

Dave

--
Fargo docs: http://fargo.io/docs/

How to ask for help with software: http://scripting.com/2014/03/19/howToAskForHelpWithSoftware.html

Mail list: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/fargo2
---

Mark Anderson

Mar 9, 2016, 9:22:35 AM3/9/16
to fargo2, da...@smallpicture.com
Thanks for the suggestions.

I added cmsPrefs.opml and also #prefs/urls.json but there was no change.

I don't think it is an issue with the dropbox API. I've attached a screenshot of the Firefox Network tab and it shows that the delay is between the API calls.

So it looks like a client side issue.

Mark
Screenshot from 2016-03-09 10-56-14.png

C. R. Oldham

Mar 9, 2016, 11:42:27 AM3/9/16
to far...@googlegroups.com, da...@smallpicture.com
You haven't seen any other network slowness, have you? Slow DNS servers can cause this.

--cro

<Screenshot from 2016-03-09 10-56-14.png>

Mark Anderson

Mar 9, 2016, 3:39:20 PM3/9/16
to far...@googlegroups.com, da...@smallpicture.com
From further investigation in Chrome it seems the the following URL request fails after 2 minutes and since it is synchronous is freezes the UI.

http://pub2.fargo.io/httpReadUrl?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffargo.io%2Fcms%2FglobalPrefs.opml&type=text%2Fplain

Looks like this is called from cmsBackgroundProcess -> cmsGetDavePrefs -> xmlReadFile in fargoCms.js

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 at 17:12 Mark Anderson <mande...@gmail.com> wrote:

No.

I've observed it on different computers and networks. At work on Firefox/Linux and at home on Firefox/Mac and chrome/Mac.

Mark.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "fargo2" group.

Mark Anderson

Dave Winer

Mar 9, 2016, 3:41:47 PM3/9/16
to far...@googlegroups.com
Well now you're talking!

That's something I can fix.

1. When I went to that URL I saw the behavior you described.

2. I went looking for the problem, and it was solved by restarting the server.

Now when I click that link I get an instantaneous response.

Dave

Mark Anderson

Mar 9, 2016, 5:43:44 PM3/9/16
to far...@googlegroups.com