Can't Save or Update The Post

Frank McPherson

Jan 19, 2015, 9:15:02 PM1/19/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
I have an outline that I edit using Fargo from which I publish posts to a WordPress blog. I've been doing this for some time, but today when I went to publish a post from the outline to Wordpress by clicking the Wordpress icon on the left I get the following message:

"Can't save or update the post because "Poorly formatted XML text, we were expecting a tag (at character #160)"

Any ideas as to the cause? My fear is that Wordpress changed their API that has broken the connection between Fargo and it. I don't see anything obviously wrong in my outline, there is no markup, just text in an outline.

Dave Winer

Jan 19, 2015, 9:24:26 PM1/19/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think they did change the API. I don't know for sure.

--
Fargo docs: http://fargo.io/docs/

How to ask for help with software: http://scripting.com/2014/03/19/howToAskForHelpWithSoftware.html

Mail list: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/fargo2
---

Ken Smith

Jan 20, 2015, 8:43:59 AM1/20/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
I may have a small detail to add to this thread.

I noticed a couple of days ago that my Radio3 browser plugin had stopped sending the little posts to WordPress. The main functions continued just fine. I was really only using the WordPress part as a kind of backup, but the W icon stopped appearing there on the right after a new posting. As far as I can recall, I had changed no settings or passwords anywhere.

I used the Radio3 plugin Tuesday of last week and got the WordPress icon, but when I came back to it on Friday the W stopped appearing.

Ken

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Frank McPherson <frank.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dave Winer

Jan 20, 2015, 8:50:57 AM1/20/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
The one piece of info we need here to investigate is the URL of the Wordpress blogs.

Remember the bug reporting drill, no one can help unless they can reproduce the problem.

Dave
--
Typed on an iPad with fat fingers.

Frank McPherson

Jan 20, 2015, 9:31:34 AM1/20/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
What I did:
1. Wrote a new blog post in Fargo
2. Placed cursor at the top level (subject) of the blog post and clicked the Wordpress icon on the left

What happened:
The following message was displayed: "Can't save or update the post because "Poorly formatted XML text, we were expecting a tag (at character #160)"

What I expected:
I expected the item to be posted to the Wordpress blog at http://the-narthex.org

Additional info:
I have multiple Wordpress blogs associated with my Wordpress account. I have the Blog settings panel in Fargo configured for http://fjmnotes.wordpress.com, which is the main URL, along with my credentials. In the CMS overrides panel of the outline in which I write the posts, in the What Wordpress blog to post field I have http://the-narthex.org

Dave Winer

Jan 20, 2015, 9:33:10 AM1/20/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
BTW, you don't always have to be that formal. ;-)

The three-part checklist is for you, not for the person reading the report.

But thanks for providing the info. Right now I'm getting a release ready on another project, so hopefully someone else can take a look into what WordPress is doing.

And I wouldn't expect this to be a quick fix. I remember reading they were going to change the API radically.

Dave

Ken Smith

Jan 20, 2015, 9:34:57 AM1/20/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Radio3 to post to @KenSmith and to this WordPress page:

The Radio3 screen says WordPress was accepting my posts until Tuesday, January 13--an item about Internet trolls. And that's the last one that shows up on the WordPress page as a successful post. The WordPress dashboard shows no pending posts.

Because it's not the main reason I use Radio3 most days, I hadn't quite focused on the missing element until the Fargo list commented.  Thanks.

Ken

Frank McPherson

Jan 20, 2015, 9:53:10 AM1/20/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
Is the code that publishes to Wordpress in fargoPublisher? I thought it was running as another, separate, component, on a server that you have. The posts are not even getting to the Wordpress side.

Dave Winer

Jan 20, 2015, 9:54:13 AM1/20/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
>>The posts are not even getting to the Wordpress side.

That's an important piece of information! ;-)

Dave

Dave Winer

Jan 22, 2015, 11:06:10 AM1/22/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
I got a chance to look into this, and the problem is they now require HTTPS.

Frontier, which is acting as the bridge is only capable of communicating in HTTP.

So technically they did change the protocol, it's a very minor change, but it breaks our connection to WordPress. It could be fixed, but it would require portingthe glue  to another environment that supports HTTPS. That is not a small job.

So net-net, for now the connection to WordPress is broken.

Dave

[...]

Frank McPherson

Jan 22, 2015, 11:53:14 AM1/22/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
Disappointing, but I understand. I need to come up with a work around. Off the top of my head I am thinking I can probably use the HTML that fargoPublisher produces and do a copy and paste.

Ken Smith

Jan 22, 2015, 1:59:55 PM1/22/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
Frank (if I hear what you need, accurately): I believe you can create an IFTTT.com recipe that will automatically lift each new Radio3 posting from its RSS feed and write it to your WordPress blog. Or Tumblr. Or several other things.

Dave, thanks for all you do on behalf of this whole toolkit of important software and the users.

Ken

Frank McPherson

Jan 22, 2015, 2:46:18 PM1/22/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
It's a thought, however I am doing my writing in Fargo and do so mostly because I am writing long form content. I don't think the RSS feed generated by Fargo or fargoPublisher puts the entire contents of a blog post into the feed.

What would be handy, I think, is a simple OPML to HTML conversion utility, something real simple.

Dave Winer

Jan 22, 2015, 2:55:53 PM1/22/15
to far...@googlegroups.com
The RSS feed Fargo produces contains the full content. Both html and opml. You could have checked that before posting.