Various updates

Andrea Mangiatordi

Nov 25, 2011, 2:53:17 AM11/25/11
to farfall...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have been silent for a while on this list mainly because some
conferences drew me away from home and work during the first half of
November.

In the meantime, I have been slowly advancing with the coding, mainly to
solve some small problems arised with the new website (did you notice?).

Following Mario Ferraro's suggestion, in the end I implemented LABjs for
overhead. Thanks Mario ;)

As another advancement, I have been experimenting with virtual machines
for providing a text-to-speech server based on Festival, to which
Farfalla will connect to provide reading capabilities to plugins (until
some time ago I relied on a third party service, which was free but very
limited, working only from time to time). There is some interest towards
dyslexia people in these days, and having a reliable text-to-speech
system online could even attract some funding. I want to make this work
ASAP, in case some of you have any experience or counsel in this field
it would be warmly welcomed.

Contextually, I am contacting some students with low vision to help me
in testing what is already there, deeper.

I also have a problem to discuss with you, but I will open a dedicated
thread.

Have a nice day,

Andrea