Indian Farfalla members

1 view

Harpreet Sareen

Aug 24, 2011, 6:50:57 AM8/24/11
to farfall...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am Harpreet from India. I learnt about Farfalla from Andrea quite some back and started participating in the project. I have been working with him from about 10 months now on various parts of the project. There’s another guy recently joined me from India and working with me seldom on various fragments. Apart from other things of Farfalla, my chief emphasis always stays on thinking about new add-ons.

I am inclined to add more plugins related to various needs of the users, to allow creating sets of plugins for users based on requirement. There are already typical plugins available for Magnification, Contrast, Font size etc. with more options to be added in the existing ones as well as other unique plugins to be added. Presently, I am trying to modify Dasher text-input mechanism Java applet to work as a plugin in Farfalla. Though the current version of the plugin is available too and working, but it needs to be improved to be more intuitive as text-entry method for users.

Dasher has it's own clipboard and bringing the text from the Dasher's text box to the web page input element is a bit tricky, though some part of this has already been handled successfully. The guy who build Dasher java applet just disappeared from the community but other Dasher verisons of iPhone, Android are very popular. So currently, I am analysing the source of the applet from the old Git repository to add new methods to the applet. Hopefully, the thing that is required for the plguin will be done in a short time.

There are some other plguins that I think should be in queue after this:
->Some kind of swype keyboard similar to what is available in Android phones, to be added as a plugin in future.
-> Detecting the type of device or type of web application being used by a user, to change the preferences.
-> AxsJax for automatic accessibility repairments, as Andrea has already been working on.
-> Options to change keyboard's language ( l10n ).

Other than plugins, there are more features that deserve attention for future:
-> UI Automation for users. Navigating between websites/web pages.
-> Front - end API to be prepared to add more customizing options to the plugins.
-> Back-end web service API which can allow to embed the toolbar on LAN intranets, or at other comm. places where Act 508 compliance is mandatory. Something similar to an auto-installer on client's computer which I developed earlier for Farfalla toolbar.

I am very pleased to see the community working for various parts of the project. Very inspiring!
Please do let me know if there might be some questions about the current work or the future developments that I wrote about :)

P.S Thanks to Andrea for changing language to English and allowing us to participate.

--
Regards
Harpreet