Releasing script

1 view

Andrea Mangiatordi

Aug 4, 2011, 6:21:51 AM8/4/11
to farfall...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I decided to split the conversation in distinct threads, so that
everything should be clearer and easier to read

Il 04/08/11 11.35, Mario Ferraro ha scritto:
> I'd say there should be a script for the first two points that builds
> everything in a specific folder. FTP releasing script can be done, but
> it's easy enough to upload by FTP once the folder is ready. Other
> people might want to release in a different way.

That's fine, I believe FTP upload should be passed to the script via a
command line option. No option, no upload.

I know that someone in this list (Flavio?) does not like bash scripting,
preferring python/ruby/perl/whatever. We could also create a php script
so that it could be put on farfalla's website and allow developers to
download their own ready-packaged distribution, more or less like jquery
does for developers.

Any other ideas?

Ciao

Andrea

Giuseppe Capizzi

Aug 4, 2011, 6:39:47 AM8/4/11
to farfall...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we should take a look at deploy tools like Capistrano [1] or Fabric [2].

[1] https://github.com/capistrano/capistrano/wiki
[2] http://fabfile.org
--
Giuseppe Capizzi

Andrea Mangiatordi

Aug 4, 2011, 11:28:03 AM8/4/11
Il 04/08/11 12.39, Giuseppe Capizzi ha scritto:

> Maybe we should take a look at deploy tools like Capistrano [1] or Fabric [2].
>
> [1] https://github.com/capistrano/capistrano/wiki
> [2] http://fabfile.org

Hi,

I gave them a quick look to both, but they seem to me a little
overkill.. Perhaps this is not really needed by now, but it should be
considered for future developments..

Ciao
Andrea

Mario Ferraro

Aug 5, 2011, 5:55:03 AM8/5/11
to farfall...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, agree. I'd say even a quick bash script would accomplish the task
for the moment, something like
1) use sed to put the right hostname in the right files
2) compress the JS
3) copy everything into a new folder
4 [optional]) upload by FTP

I'd not overcomplicate at this early stage, there is always room for
improvement :)

Cheers,

Mario