Permanent Calculated Folder Sizes

Safari

Jan 27, 2014, 2:21:53 PM1/27/14
to fard...@googlegroups.com
Dear Developer,
First thank you for developing best file manager in the world.

One thing I always wish to FAR have it is when I'm selecting a list of folders and pressing F3 to calculate the size of them it will do it very well.
But in nested folders and folders with thousands of files when I select all folders and sort them by size it is good until I do not go into one of sub folders when I go to that folder and then back to the parent folder I need to again press * to select all folders and press F3 and wait for minutes until it calculate the entire folder sizes again and again.

It would be great if there was an option to keep the calculated sizes not reseted by changing folders.

Best Regards

anatoly techtonik

Feb 7, 2014, 2:08:15 AM2/7/14
to fard...@googlegroups.com
What are you saying about it filesystem cache, but that will create a
problem that if something changed folders while you were traversing
back and forth, the cached calculation will be incomplete.

What would help is a watchdog that turns out active when you select
folders and press F3, but this complicates the system and potentially
makes Far more slow, so it is better implemented as a plugin.

Note that you probably will get faster replies if you post on Far Manager forum.
> --
> --

anatoly t.

Marcos el Ruptor

Jun 26, 2023, 12:42:03 AM6/26/23
to fardeven
I have a better solution. Instant (a few ms) folder sizes (and numbers of files) regardless of the size of the folder tree and regardless of Windows cache. It takes 10-20 seconds to initialize once on start (microsoft fault - may be fixable, i just haven't figured out how to fix it yet), but then not only it provides instant directory trees but also instant file searches (regardless of the number of sub-directories or their sizes - one or a billion, same speed).

I wrote it for another project i'm working on but the whole product is far from completion. So now I'm thinking of implementing this part as a prototype in form of a Far plug-in. I can't share the source code or explain how it works, sorry. The only problem is that I have no idea how to write Far plugins. Never done it. I'm old and slow. It would take me weeks to figure it out by myself. Anyone wants to guide me to speed it up? I'd just need a [pure C] for such a plug-in for two operations: 1) directory list replacing <DIRECTORY> with its size and/or number of files and 2) file search request by name (content is another story) and some answers on where to feed the search results and in what format.

By the way, this same recursive directory scanning is the reason it takes any compression tool over six hours on my computer to pack a million files of the same size that takes less than five minutes to pack a single file.

Just e-mail me how to find you on skype if you're up for it.