A few issues in standalone installation

Trond Ulseth

Apr 20, 2014, 3:54:24 AM4/20/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
I've installed Farcry on a shared host - with the standalone deployment.

Almost everything seems to be working, but there are a couple of issues:

- On all pages, both on the website and in the web top there is a struct dump on the bottom. The dump is different from page to page, but has to do with JS.
- In the web top form elements are not displayed/formated nicely as they should.

- also, maybe related to the dump on the bottom, the Farcry toolbar is not present on the bottom of the web pages when I am logged in.

Here's a screenshot that shows both issues:

Geoff Bowers

Apr 20, 2014, 4:31:55 AM4/20/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Do you get the same problem with FarCry 7?

GB

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

--
You received this message cos you are subscribed to "farcry-dev" Google group.
To post, email: farcr...@googlegroups.com

Trond Ulseth

Apr 20, 2014, 5:02:10 PM4/20/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff,

I removed the whole installation, going for a FC7 solution instead.

However - when I try to run the installer I get an error saying that:
Attribute validation error for CFFILE. The value of the FILE attribute is invalid.

Being a shared host I could not enable robust exeptions - but still managed to track the problem to the lack of a farcryConstructor.cfm file.
I added a farcryConstructor.cfm file to the webrootpath folder. However - the installer then claimed a mismatch in DB type when choosing MSSQL 2005 or newer (towards a MSSQL 2012 db). I then tried against a MySQL db, but it seemed to assume that it was installing with an existing db - and gave "table not found" type errors.

But as I understand it - a farcryConstructor.cfm file should not be present in a first time installment.

Looking forwards to your advice :)

Jeff Coughlin

Apr 20, 2014, 6:56:52 PM4/20/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
In FarCry 7, it requires at least a bare bones skeleton.  This is the one I use for new projects (which is for FC7)

Jeff

AJ Mercer

Apr 20, 2014, 8:20:36 PM4/20/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com

Justin Carter

Apr 20, 2014, 11:58:45 PM4/20/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
There will be a distro for FC7 next week :) I'm just in the middle of some var scoping changes before I finally branch, tag and release.

Trond Ulseth

Apr 21, 2014, 3:49:37 PM4/21/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
I tried putting the project-skeleton files in the farcry/projects/trondulseth directory - as I understand from the instal file that it loops over projects there. And then the installer kinda worked. I'm saying kinda, because the webtop login page looked worse than ever before... but I believe that maybe some virtual directory is still stuck on the server even though the web admin panel says it aint so. The reason I believe this is that the FC6 project I first tried to get working also was listed on the login page - and I have no reference to that project what so ever in my new project.

I've contacted the hosting provider - asking them to clean out all virtual directories - and then I will have a new go.

Trond

Trond Ulseth

Apr 22, 2014, 11:51:10 AM4/22/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Think I'll wait for the distro before trying again :)

You received this message cos you are subscribed to "farcry-dev" Google group.
To post, email: farcr...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Coughlin

Apr 22, 2014, 11:54:47 AM4/22/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
All the distro will do is just download those two things for you and put them together for you.  Chances are if you're having difficulties, you'll still have the same difficulties after someone else puts the two sets of files together.

I just tried the installer again and it works as expected.

Jeff

Trond Ulseth

Apr 22, 2014, 3:59:26 PM4/22/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Ok. So was my setup right? Putting the skeleton in a directory within the projects directory? And is there something to observe in a standalone install vs the more common "one install to rule them all"?

I see now that I've been spoiled with having people around me handling server administration and stuff like that :)

Trond
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "farcry-dev" group.

Sean Coyne

Apr 22, 2014, 4:01:39 PM4/22/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure you need to put skeletons into the /farcry/skeletons directory for the installer to pick them up properly.

Jeff Coughlin

Apr 22, 2014, 5:12:16 PM4/22/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Trond had it right.  You put the skeleton files in the project folder you created.  It sounds like the installer was successful (assuming you saw the new FC7 installer screens).  If it's acting funky post-install, make sure you have the following two web aliases/"virtual directories" created (alias if Apache, virtual directory if IIS): /webtop and /farcry.  You will not need a CF mapping (as the /farcry alias will handle those needs - this support was first added in FC5.1 or 5.2).  If you have a CF mapping (like one pointing to your FarCry 6 folder) it could cause conflicts.  You can do this same setup (using aliases) for your FC6 install if you need both running on the same machine.  Personally I suggest deleting the old CF mapping if it's there and use this process.  If you want to play it safe, rename it for now so that you can quickly rollback if needed.

Point the following aliases to the following folders:
  • /webtop = "/path/to/farcry/core" folder
  • /farcry = "/path/to/farcry" folder

Note: If it's windows, you'll of course use "[drive]:\path\to\farcry"

This install process (without using a CF mapping) still acts like an "advanced" install, except that it allows you to easily run FC6/7 on the same instance - giving you a lot more flexibility (especially on your dev machine).

Give that a shot and see if it gets you going.

Jeff

--
You received this message cos you are subscribed to "farcry-dev" Google group.
To post, email: farcr...@googlegroups.com

Trond Ulseth

Apr 23, 2014, 4:30:13 AM4/23/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Is it possible to do this without the virtual directories (I have a feeling the virtual directory management in the web control panel on the shared host I'm using is a bit "funky").

What I had when I tried to install was

root (where the site domain points)
- farcry
- - core
- - - webtop
- - - etc.....
- - plugins
- - projects
- - - trond (this is where I put the skeleton)

However if I could use virtual directories I would not have to go with the standalone setup, and could go like this:

root
- farcry
- - core
- - - webtop
- - - etc.....
- - plugins
- - projects
- - - trond (where the site domain points - with virtual directories for farcry and webtop)
- - - jeff (where another domain points - with virtual directories for farcry and webtop)

Sean Coyne

Apr 23, 2014, 10:51:42 AM4/23/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Ah, ok you want the standalone installation.  That shouldn't require any virtual directories.  You will probably need to copy any files from the www directory in the project folder to the web root.

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 5:17:29 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com

Ok - I'll document the whole process here.

And the we'll see how it goes :)

The first thing is I created a folder named trond on the ulseth.no server - this is where trond.ulseth.no eventually will be pointed. I then created a farcry directory and within that a core directory - where I am now uploading the files downloaded from the FC trunk on github:

Geoff Bowers

Apr 24, 2014, 6:24:04 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
How about on the new forum? Would be great to get everyone working there :)

GB

Sent from Mailbox

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 6:41:48 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Then, in the farcry directory I create the new directory projects, and then in there the directory master - where I put the skeleton files that Jeff linked to above.
In theory that is all that is needed to install the Farcry core (without the FarcryCMS), I just have to create a empty database.

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 6:43:07 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Geoff - I can put the whole process as one post in the new forum once I confirm that it worked :)

Geoff Bowers

Apr 24, 2014, 6:50:01 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful :)

Sent from Mailbox

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 10:26:50 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Ok - so I created a new empty MySQL database - and made it a ColdFusion datasource.

Created the domain farcry.ulseth.no - pointed it to my root.

Then I opened the install page. Which at first looked like this:

I then updated the information and was greeted with this. So far so good:

Then I hit the Install button - and things were starting to go a bit wrong:

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 10:31:51 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
No link or further advice from the install page - so I decided to try and open the webtop:

And I get a similar message going to the page itself: farcry.ulseth.no

hmmm - think I'll have to check with the host what is going on.

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 10:39:26 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the db it actually seems that the tables it returned errors on are actually there, so maybe the db itself is ok?

Jeff Coughlin

Apr 24, 2014, 10:47:14 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
The tables may be there, but the errors you posted indicate that the data was not populated in the tables. My guess is that there is either something wrong with the installer (I'm guessing no), or that there is something wrong at your host's MySQL end. But that's just speculation. You need to get your hands on the actual errors. Not sure if you can see the server logs or not, but if you can that's where I'd start.

Jeff

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 11:08:03 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
You are right of course - I was a bit quick and not really reading the errors there. However I opened the sql files from the project skeleton and ran them directly in the phpmyadmin - and they all populated the tables without any hiccups at all. So hopefully NOW at least the db is where it should be :)

Just have to wait for the host to see if they can resolve the Java issue for me.

Trond

Geoff Bowers

Apr 24, 2014, 11:19:54 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
You need to make sure the datasource settings allow multiple statements per query.

Can you check the datasource config?

we probably need to add a test somehow before attempting an install.

GB

Sent from Mailbox

Geoff Bowers

Apr 24, 2014, 11:22:26 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
If you can't create objects, you can't run FarCry on that host. It's a common problem with shared hosts who just turn that option off server wide as a security precaution.

GB

Sent from Mailbox

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 11:37:39 AM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:22:26 PM UTC+2, Geoff Bowers wrote:
If you can't create objects, you can't run FarCry on that host. It's a common problem with shared hosts who just turn that option off server wide as a security precaution.

If you see at the top of this thread I almost had FC6 up and running, but I've sent an email to support and will see what they say. If there is no go, then I have other options.

Trond Ulseth

Apr 24, 2014, 12:28:05 PM4/24/14
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
This is what I got:

Since you are in a shared hosting environment we do not allow access to internal Java components. However since this is in an cfif statement for timeout request you can probably get away with commenting it out or using alternative code.