Does GPL's license allow copy/paste and re-licensing ?

william opensource4you

Feb 19, 2012, 5:37:35 PM2/19/12
to fapws
I'm not used to such type of concerns, but I'm quite surprised to see
that someone copy-paste a big part of Fapws3, remove licenses terms,
... and re-license it.

http://code.google.com/p/zero-web/
http://code.google.com/p/zero-web/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk

Am I the only one having this feeling ?

How can I contact this person ?
(After several click I was not able to have the email address of this person.)

W.

Jonas H.

Feb 20, 2012, 3:39:08 AM2/20/12
to fa...@googlegroups.com
On 02/19/2012 11:37 PM, william opensource4you wrote:
> I'm not used to such type of concerns, but I'm quite surprised to see
> that someone copy-paste a big part of Fapws3, remove licenses terms,
> ... and re-license it.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/zero-web/
> http://code.google.com/p/zero-web/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk
>
> Am I the only one having this feeling ?

People may of course copy and paste your code somewhere else, provided

* they keep a note that you're the author of that code
* they don't change the license (in case of GPL)

So while the original author note is somewhat given (the project page
states it took some code and ideas from Fapws), he changed the license
without your approval. That's not legal.

hongl...@gmail.com

--
http://jonas.lophus.org | http://django-mongodb.org