er

Frank Lordi

Jul 25, 2019, 10:21:52 PM7/25/19
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com
we ever gonna play anything again?

[MOB] OneEyedBadger

Jul 26, 2019, 10:22:50 AM7/26/19
to Fantasy Nations
I'm down for SoN.

I will even donate a bit and promise not to drunk rant more than twice a week, not drunk blast the GM more than once a month, and never insult other players more than... Hmm... Well, not publically insult the other players more than once a week.

Basically, mostly play nice villain with the occasional splash of alcohol induced rage when my master plans fail. Would be awesome if I could be allowed to blame my minions and execute them. If they feature is permitted I might not even ever drunk rant on the forums targeting anyone else other than said minions.

[MOB] OneEyedBadger

Jul 26, 2019, 10:24:12 AM7/26/19
to Fantasy Nations
Ooops. Wrong account 😒 I hate it when I out myself.

David Micheal Coddy

Jul 26, 2019, 11:10:07 AM7/26/19
to Fantasy Nations
I just GM'd a Vassal-based game and that really works well if you want to use Reaction, Patrol and Blitz orders. Thing is you need the basic map and players have to understand what their orders mean and what the map positions mean.

I had lots of guwaffs early on and from new players.... Mistakes that would make putting cavalry I reserve seem smart. After many arguments and general debate the players did get the idea and my naval patrol and reaction orders did work.

For Mike... I say $50 per top ten player as mandatory donations should be optimal. If he wants to be nice or has to regain the old crowd then knock that down to $25 per top ten player.

Every player below top ten that donates at least $25 gets a publically known +10% attack strength bonus for that week and a publically known (both after the fact) edge in movement.

This nets Mike at least $250/week in donations, plus a bonus if a smaller power makes a move. And it makes sense storyline wise.

Now my attack rules and his are way off, he fires once and then you are done where I fire once per combat, but the +10% firepower bonus to donors should still make a difference.

Reason is turn sequence. Mike likes to make it all at the same time while I just told my players, clearly, first in first out for (final) top ten turn orders received. All others go in sequence beyond that.

If a donar below top ten donated I just put him or her in my top ten queue. Easy peesy and every still got mad.

Thing is, you have too (and want to) reward players that get their orders in early for Vassal-based engines.

Anyway, just my twenty-two and a half cents.

Will there be another SON game? Dunno, but if there is the GM should be aware that PBEM has advanced to levels that make his job easier.

If there is no more SON games... Can Dizzy just rent the title and GM it himself with Authors Permission? Yeah, Dizzy has bad rep as player but Dizzy was also all about action and rewarding brilliant strategies so it should be 50-50 as far as players are concerned.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019, 7:24 AM [MOB] OneEyedBadger <davidmic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ooops. Wrong account 😒 I hate it when I out myself.

David Micheal Coddy

Jul 26, 2019, 11:37:32 AM7/26/19
to Fantasy Nations
My opinion regarding donations is because.... Even with Vassal, after all said and done I was spending about 20 hours a week resolving normal turns when you count elementary corrections and about 24 or 25 hours if any issues occurred, just resolving those issues or wasting my time waiting for those issues to resolve themselves (GMs will u derstand this last part).

Which they just about always did.

So then you have to consider what your 'idle time' is worth vs professional time, and I always double my professional hourly rate. Thing is, if you go off your professional rate you never get paid your real rate for your time: because a GM is using THEIR private time which is usually used for recreation to resolve a pseudo-professional endeavour.

My idle time was always worth twice my professional wage, more or less. This would be because I was using my otherwise available time for looking for and acquiring the services of homeless prostitutes to run a game.

Look, if you interfere in my sex life in anyway, you better pay.

Anyway, that was my logic. I would ask myself if I would rather resolve (XYZ) game orders or hire a homeless prostitute... Or maybe play chess with me.

As I am a losing chess player with a 1300-ish rating I am actually intrigued as which option the reader thought I was choosing the whole time.

But my final argument is GMs need to be paid. A fair price based on how much of their free time they could otherwise be serviced by homeless prostitutes entails.

Seriously, in my experience, I only hired five guys. Every one of them was a bargain and two of them where the phenomenal ... Now pay your GMs because they have some much better things to be spending their time doing.