Query

James Patterson

Nov 7, 2018, 4:28:46 AM11/7/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com
I don't really understand the below.
- Does it mean my troops situated in my city will move anywhere to defend any sector i control?
- If so do they have to do that?

Attacking. This is similar to exploring, except it involves places controlled by someone (or some thing) else. Campsites, cities, and fortresses have a zone of control (ZOC) that extends either to the edge of that civilization's controlled land territory or half-way to another of that same civilization's cities or fortresses. All non-sea places in that ZOC are considered a single location for attack and control purposes. Defenders of campsites, cities, and fortresses protect everything within their ZOC. A player adjacent to any place in the ZOC of the same campsite, city, or fortress attacks all places in that same ZOC in the same attack—if he captures the target camp, city, or fortress, he takes control of all the places in its ZOC.

ME Brines

Nov 7, 2018, 5:02:39 AM11/7/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com

It means for people to take your stuff they have to capture that city. Your guys don't have to move anywhere. The enemy has to come to them. But if they win, they take all the areas within that ZOC -- most of which aren't worth anything anyway. Only the cities really have value.

In a world where butter, sugar, and caffeine are illegal, can a baker turned revolutionary give the People back their just desserts? The Donuts of Doom, a silly steampunk novel and cookbook available @ https://www.amazon.com/Donuts-Doom-ME-Brines-ebook/dp/B005U41R0I/ref=la_B005H3CVNE_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1532647412&sr=1-18&refinements=p_82%3AB005H3CVNE

Charles Hurst

Nov 7, 2018, 9:11:37 AM11/7/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Perhaps you can work up an example of two or more camps/fortresses/cities and how you'll determine their ZOCs.  Which camp/fortress/city defends a region when it is equal distance to multiple camps/fortresses/cities?  Can players specify which c/f/c defends in that case?

Charles

James Patterson

Nov 7, 2018, 10:58:03 AM11/7/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com
do they have to move through sectors to get to your city or if they attack any sector they effectively attack your city?

Megan Tee

Nov 7, 2018, 2:49:30 PM11/7/18
to Fantasy Nations
Agreed

ME Brines

Nov 8, 2018, 4:40:25 PM11/8/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com

if they attack any sector they effectively attack your city

ME Brines

Nov 8, 2018, 4:48:00 PM11/8/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com

I'd usually just pick one. Mostly it won't matter. Why if you have a city would somebody attack you to try and capture some hunting site when if they win they get the city too? If you're strong enough to take the city and win the fight, why would you attack to only get a hunting site?

Charles Hurst

Nov 8, 2018, 7:28:13 PM11/8/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com
How you decide ZOC matters if someone has more than one city and has to split their defenders and has potential attackers on multiple borders.

On a related note, how does spying work then?  If I send more scouts then there are defending scouts present in the entire ZOC of a city, I get to see everything that is in that ZOC?

Is spying different than exploring?  I explored another player's region and you said it was an attack.  So I assume spying is different than exploring?

Megan Tee

Nov 8, 2018, 8:11:51 PM11/8/18
to Fantasy Nations
Following.

ME Brines

Nov 8, 2018, 8:36:54 PM11/8/18

On 11/8/2018 5:27 PM, Charles Hurst wrote:
How you decide ZOC matters if someone has more than one city and has to split their defenders and has potential attackers on multiple borders.
How does whether a particular place is in one or the other when it's equally distant from both matter? If it's going to make a difference by 1/2 a place, it stands to reason I'd not make it so that 1/2 a place means the other guy can attack both.

On a related note, how does spying work then?  If I send more scouts then there are defending scouts present in the entire ZOC of a city, I get to see everything that is in that ZOC?
yes

Is spying different than exploring?  I explored another player's region and you said it was an attack.  So I assume spying is different than exploring?
You put it in as an attack because I have to look at the player's packet to see the opposition.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 4:48 PM ME Brines <s...@cox.net> wrote:

I'd usually just pick one. Mostly it won't matter. Why if you have a city would somebody attack you to try and capture some hunting site when if they win they get the city too? If you're strong enough to take the city and win the fight, why would you attack to only get a hunting site?

ME Brines

Nov 8, 2018, 8:40:05 PM11/8/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com

On 11/8/2018 5:27 PM, Charles Hurst wrote:
How you decide ZOC matters if someone has more than one city and has to split their defenders and has potential attackers on multiple borders.
If it makes that much difference build a fort.

On a related note, how does spying work then?  If I send more scouts then there are defending scouts present in the entire ZOC of a city, I get to see everything that is in that ZOC?

Is spying different than exploring?  I explored another player's region and you said it was an attack.  So I assume spying is different than exploring?

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 4:48 PM ME Brines <s...@cox.net> wrote:

I'd usually just pick one. Mostly it won't matter. Why if you have a city would somebody attack you to try and capture some hunting site when if they win they get the city too? If you're strong enough to take the city and win the fight, why would you attack to only get a hunting site?

James Patterson

Nov 9, 2018, 3:46:11 AM11/9/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com
I'm still a  bit unsure... so, someone attacks my border and that means they attack my nearest city? I get 3x boost to T.

What are my other troops doing who are hunting nearby for example? Do they get involved at 1x T?

Charles Hurst

Nov 9, 2018, 9:53:56 AM11/9/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com
The only part of the rules I could find for cities in combat says they triple the losses of the attacker.  I wasn't able to find where the rules say a city triples your defending troops' toughness.

ME Brines

Nov 9, 2018, 5:20:44 PM11/9/18

On 11/9/2018 1:45 AM, James Patterson wrote:
I'm still a  bit unsure... so, someone attacks my border and that means they attack my nearest city? I get 3x boost to T.

What are my other troops doing who are hunting nearby for example?
Hunting

Do they get involved at 1x T?
no

ME Brines

Nov 9, 2018, 5:22:13 PM11/9/18
to fantasy...@googlegroups.com

That is correct. You do 3x damage. You do not get 3xT