Dev contribution start

Oyama Rilves

Apr 12, 2024, 8:47:10 AMApr 12
to FanFicFare -- Downloader for FanFiction
Hello!

I've been willing to make a PR for a website that is not yet included in FanFicFare, but I'm not very familiar with python and I am struggling to start.

- I have cloned the project and made a virtual env, so far so good, but I have no idea how to use the source code? (it seems like a dumb question, but once again I am not familiar with python dev). Do I have to compile to a .zip with `makeplugin.py` ? (and then, what? but I doubt it's the right answer since python is not a compiled language anyway)
- Do the tests work? I'm familiar with TDD and will use this way of working if i can, but when I try launching `test_adapter_chiredscom.py` for example I also get an error ('tests' module not found). I guess either I'm launching the tests from the wrong place, or they are broken

Thanks a lot in advance for the help! I've tried looking in the wiki for dev information but didn't find anything

Oyama Rilves

Apr 12, 2024, 8:59:34 AMApr 12
to FanFicFare -- Downloader for FanFiction
Okay nevermind the second point, I did manage to launch the tests correctly (just typing pytest works).
But I still don't know how to test the source code. I guess I could compile the calibre plugin and install it in Calibre, but it seems bothersome since I'd have to update it everytime I change the code.

Oyama Rilves

Apr 12, 2024, 10:14:15 AMApr 12
to FanFicFare -- Downloader for FanFiction
Aaand one again I found my answer by navigating past topics from a while ago : https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFare/issues/670#issuecomment-797677383
Maybe it would make things easier to detail this process somewhere?

But i should be good !

Jim Miller

Apr 12, 2024, 10:37:30 AMApr 12
to fanfic-d...@googlegroups.com

Tests

By modern standards, FFF doesn't really have tests.  A few contributors have included tests for their code, but I became a programmer before standard automated testing was a thing and never got in the habit, especially for non-paid hobby projects.

New Site

What site is it you want to add?  While fanfiction sites are generally all accepted, I do reserve the right to not support sites that contain material with problematic copyrights.

Learning

If part of your intention is to learn python, be aware FFF is not a great project for learning good habits.  I didn't know python either when I came to the project and a lot of the code uses very old python conventions and design patterns and is often not very 'pythonic'.  Plus it still supports Python2 for older Calibre versions.

Dev Guide

I've added a link to that comment from the wiki FAQ.

Tara Li

Apr 15, 2024, 10:09:27 PMApr 15
to fanfic-d...@googlegroups.com
FFF has a CLI mode that should be easier to handle.

--
Project Home: https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFare/wiki
---