Feedback for ' family gem' app

bilchsdo...@web.de

Aug 11, 2020, 3:39:37 PM8/11/20
to famil...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Thank you for the effort of designing an app about such an interesting topic!

It is really easy to use and self-explanatory.

I just startet my adventure of our family tree.

Until now there are three things I would wish to change.

1) When creating a new member there should be a special field to fill in the maiden name and perhaps the marriage name of a (divorced) former marriage.

2) An opportunity to link divorced or deceased spouses would be necessary. Especially when there are joint children.

3) Often people have their given name but are called something else, a nickname, a shortening... Or they have multiple given names but use only one of them. Perhaps one could manage it with a field for the official name and one for the chosen name. Here in my opinion the chosen name should be used in the scheme of the tree for this would be the name everyone recognizes.
A typical exampel here in Germany would be my grandmother. Everyone knew her as 'Elsa' but her official name was ' Elisabeth Theresia'.

4) An option to print out parts of the tree and the tree in whole would be really great!
So you could have the possibility to show it to relatives, expecially of the elder generation, and trigger their precious memories.

I hope I don't ask to much but since you encourage feetback...

Please continue with this really great work of yours!

In you have further queries feel free to post an email.

Sincerely
Mareike
--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit WEB.DE Mail gesendet.

Michele Salvador

Aug 28, 2020, 12:09:03 PM8/28/20
to Family Gem

Hi Mareike,
thank you for your feedback!

  1. I think that add both fields "Maiden name" and  "Married name" when editing a person is too much specific..
    I suggest another solution: enter multiple names in the person's Profile.
    And moreover from next version of Family Gem (0.7.13) you can add a type ("birth", "maiden", "married"...) to each name to distinguish it.
    There is a page about that on the Wiki.

  2. In Family Gem there is already the possibility to add multiple marriages for one person.
    I wrote a help page about that.

  3. At the moment I see two main possibilities:
    • Add a nickname to the name. This will be displayed across Family Gem as Elisabeth Theresia "Elsa" Müller.
    • Put two or more names to the same person.
      The first name will be dispalyed in the app.
    See the same Wiki page.

  4. You are right, print the diagram is a must feature!
    I will add it in a future release.