CF Course

Elliot Temple

Oct 26, 2020, 7:17:43 PM10/26/20
to FIGG
I’m considering doing a Critical Fallibilism course. I have two potential students and want to check if anyone else would be interested.

Format would be 1 hour sessions. I’d have prepped slides plus do Q&A and tutoring.

Homework minimal/optional.

There would be scheduled times. US afternoon or evening.

Sessions would be recorded and sold later. So public but not live streamed.

Price undecided. 4 figures.

Elliot Temple
www.elliottemple.com

Elliot Temple

Oct 26, 2020, 7:26:27 PM10/26/20
to FIGG
forgot to say ~15 sessions with fast pace. 3-4 sessions/wk. could consider 2/wk to accommodate someone’s schedule.

Elliot Temple
www.curi.us

Andy Dufresne

Oct 27, 2020, 11:19:21 AM10/27/20
to FIGG
I have some questions:

On 26 Oct 2020, at 16:17, Elliot Temple wrote:

> I’m considering doing a Critical Fallibilism course. I have two
> potential students and want to check if anyone else would be
> interested.
>
> Format would be 1 hour sessions. I’d have prepped slides plus do Q&A
> and tutoring.

Text chat + slides only? Voice + Text/Slides? Video / Zoom?

If video, are students expected to show video also?

> Homework minimal/optional.
>
> There would be scheduled times. US afternoon or evening.
>
> Sessions would be recorded and sold later. So public but not live
> streamed.
>
> Price undecided. 4 figures.

Other questions:

Goals - what should you know / be able to do after the course?

Pre-requisites - what should you know / be able to do before the course
(if anything) beyond, say, what someone who graduated high school in a
western English speaking country would generally know / be able to do?

Can a student use a pseudonym in the course?

--Andy

Elliot Temple

Oct 27, 2020, 2:45:33 PM10/27/20
to FIGG
On Oct 27, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Andy Dufresne <foxhunt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some questions:
>
> On 26 Oct 2020, at 16:17, Elliot Temple wrote:
>
>> I’m considering doing a Critical Fallibilism course. I have two potential students and want to check if anyone else would be interested.
>>
>> Format would be 1 hour sessions. I’d have prepped slides plus do Q&A and tutoring.
>
> Text chat + slides only? Voice + Text/Slides? Video / Zoom?
>
> If video, are students expected to show video also?

voice chat. i screen share. zoom. students can screen share to show stuff. they can type something if they want to.

>> Homework minimal/optional.
>>
>> There would be scheduled times. US afternoon or evening.
>>
>> Sessions would be recorded and sold later. So public but not live streamed.
>>
>> Price undecided. 4 figures.
>
> Other questions:
>
> Goals - what should you know / be able to do after the course?

understand philosophy better.

have some thinking methods and tools they can use. those will require additional practice. so you learn the concept but then as you go along in life you review your notes, or consciously stop and remember stuff, then use it. as you use it more it’ll get faster and more intuitive. but you won’t come away from the course with autopilot mastery.

i think you already know roughly what CF includes but here’s an outline i wrote recently. this is *not* the course outline. it’s just one draft of many to outline CF so it’ll give you a rough overview and reminders. Stuff in parentheses is noting stuff that’s included in that section rather than being a complete (re)statement.

- Knowledge
- Purposeful Information (evolutionary epistemology, {idea, goal, context} triples)
- Critical Discussion (using observation)
- Organization of Knowledge/Ideas (trees; literature; library)
- Focus
- Progress (bounds)
- Error
- Fallibilism
- Error Correction & Problem Solving
- Error Correction Mechanisms (Paths Forward)
- Error Rate (Overreaching)
- Non-Error-Correcting Approaches (e.g. Induction)
- Conclusions (YesNo)
- Conclusive Knowledge
- Binary and Digital Evaluations (digital error correction)
- Breakpoints not Amounts (universality)
- Decision Making (primary/secondary issues; decision charts)
- Action
- Project Planning or Resource Management (buffers)
- Learning (practice, mastery, persistence)
- Life

i plan to adapt stuff to the students rather than follow a pre-planned course outline, but these are the sorts of things i’ll cover.

> Pre-requisites - what should you know / be able to do before the course (if anything) beyond, say, what someone who graduated high school in a western English speaking country would generally know / be able to do?

i planned/expected only to work with FI ppl, and to deal with ppl individually (small group). if you’re asking for yourself you’re fine on prereqs. if you’re potentially asking for someone else, we could discuss that situation (private IMs is fine).

it’s not really that there are specific prereqs but if different students have different background knowledge then explaining stuff for one person could be repetition for another. so if the students aren’t gonna be similar then it’d need some consideration. my concern isn’t with any particular piece of knowledge but more that someone who knows little about FI could take a long time to get up to speed on lots of stuff that’s standard to veterans around here. also new ppl often disagree with me, debate me, reject FI, etc., and i don’t think the course is the right place to deal with that stuff, so basically i’m expecting a student to be someone who already likes me (which requires knowing a decent amount of FI stuff already to know what i am/do/think).

> Can a student use a pseudonym in the course?

sure

Elliot Temple
www.elliottemple.com

Max Kaye

Oct 29, 2020, 10:35:43 AM10/29/20
to fallibl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 16:17:40 -0700 Elliot Temple <cu...@curi.us> wrote:

> I’m considering doing a Critical Fallibilism course. I have two potential students and want to check if anyone else would be interested.

I am. A bit timezone dependent (worse in the june/july daylight savings semi-year, better in december/jan one)

--
Max
xk.io

I post my FI work/articles/exercise/practice here:
https://xertrov.github.io/fi