sentene analysis: I love to throw boomerangs to myself.

1 view

GISTE

Jul 26, 2019, 6:11:38 AM7/26/19
to FIGG, FIYG
Analyzing this sentence:

https://fallibleideas.com/grammar

> I love to throw boomerangs to myself.

Verb(action): love

Subject: I

Object phrase: to throw boomerangs to myself.

“To throw” is a noun infinitive and it’s the object of “love”.

“Boomerangs” is a noun which is the object of “to throw”.

“To myself” is a prepositional phrase modifying “to throw”. The
preposition is “to” and it governs the noun “myself”.

Conclusions: This sentence is about what the narrator loves. What he
loves is throwing boomerangs to himself.

-- GISTE

Anne B

Jul 29, 2019, 2:43:21 PM7/29/19
to fallibl...@googlegroups.com, fallibl...@yahoogroups.com
Here's my analysis. It's pretty much the same as yours.

Action verb: “love”

Direct object phrase: “to throw boomerangs to myself”. Within the
phrase, “to throw” is the main direct object of “love”, “boomerangs”
is the direct object of “to throw”, and “to myself” is a prepositional
phrase that acts as an adverb and modifies “to throw”. “to myself”
answers the question “throw where?” or “throw how?”

Conclusions: I love to throw. The thing I love to throw is boomerangs.
I love to throw them to myself.